Advertisement

Purpose of Warriors?

topic posted Fri, April 1, 2011 - 6:55 AM by  Unsubscribed
Share/Save/Bookmark
hello everyone - after a reading I was told I had to receive the guerreros/warriors.i was told they were for my protection. my questions to those that have undergone this ceremony is; what kind of protection? how do they (elegua, ogun, ochosi, osun) protect me. is it spiriual, physical, mental? will I be protected from brujeria, against getting robbed or getting sick from a disease? is my life supposed to get better as a result of undergoing this ceremony? also, I want to say thanks to all the regular posters on this site. you guys/gals are a great group.
posted by:
Unsubscribed
Advertisement
  • Re: Purpose of Warriors?

Fri, April 1, 2011 - 7:24 AM
    The warriors are for your protection aginst negative energies thrown your way. To help you lead a balanced and stable life. Thier there to keep you out of harms way, now there may not stop a physical fight but they will give you the pit in your stomach to get the hell out of there as fast as you can cause your in a danger zone. And yes to also help aginst black magic thrown your way. If continue in this religion you would defeniatly need to receive them to go any higher in the religion. But your warriors are just for you, your (elegua) to keep the doors steadily open for you and keep bringing new and more opportunities in life, (ogun) to come to your side to help you fight your battles and to help you in your work life,( ochosi) to help you keep the law on your side and away from the judicial system( osun) to help you keep your head clear and at peace. I hope this helps. But your warriors are a beautiful thing.

Fri, April 1, 2011 - 7:38 AM
      LOUISE LET ME SAY THAT JEREMY IS SO CORRECT IN WHAT HE IS SAYING HERE LISTEN TO HIM .
      EVERY CEREMONY THAT A PERSON IN THIS STAGE OF LIFE GOES THRU IS ONE MORE STEP IN THE LATTER .
      NOW LET ME SAY SOMETHING TO YOU LOUISE DON'T THINK BECAUSE YOU RECEIVE THE WARRIORS THAT YOU WILL BE UNTOUCHABLE ; I JUST WANTED TO MAKE THAT CLEAR . AND ALSO WITH CEREMONY COME A LOT OF RESPONSIBILITY'S AND SACRIFICE . EVERYTHING HAS A PRICE . MUCH BLESSING .
    • Unsu...

Re: Purpose of Warriors?

Fri, April 1, 2011 - 7:42 AM
      Thanks for the quick explanation Jeremy. wasnt sure about this one but now that you explained it, this is definitely a ceremony i will go through. the priest wants to charge me 400 dollars. is this reasonable?

Fri, April 1, 2011 - 7:53 AM
        I think thats a little much where are you located????..... but i have heard of people paying even more....... Is the person going to make your ellegua by hand and to the path you have with him or get you one of those store brought????

Fri, April 1, 2011 - 7:54 AM

Answering the Eleguá, Ogun, Osun Oshosi

A Eleguá every day in the morning before leaving for the street greet each by putting their hands on the floor and asking the blessing, health, peace, development and free him from all evil, death, tragedy and disease both oneself and all living at home.

Eleguá have to eat at least once a year an animal or when you register and ask him. Usually given to eat a dick and a dove, but can eat goat sucker request and on that occasion also gives a cock, a rooster and a dove. When offering to Eleguá always have to feed Ogun, Osun and to Oshosi if you have them. No Osha and Orisha can eat before Eleguá, he always eats first. He never puts anything cooked with oil.

A Eleguá offering you everything is put smoked fish, smoked guinea pig, roasted corn, yams, balls of gofio, fresh fish, balls of flour, bread, brandy, ladybugs, roses, salcocho grains, eggs, honey, candy, candy, fruit, and in itself all that come your mouth and you can light a candle. The offerings have made it three days and then carried to the four corners or jungle or wherever it has been indicated. Orishas Los Orishas and sometimes eaten by animals. Do not panic if you put what they eat ants, cockroaches, dogs or other animals. There are works where things get a Eleguá and then eat them and invites other people and especially children.

On these Oshas not asking for anything bad to enemies. When you have problems with one or more persons are given the complaints under the Osha putting their names, asking him to handle the situation.

Eleguá can live in different places inside the house, but always goes along with Ogun and Oshosi. Preferably living near the front door of the house.

A Eleguá you can take a walk to various places and also one can take you to places like work, or other meetings where one goes. When Eleguá takes a walk is not given out to anyone.

A Eleguá is asked or spoken to sitting, standing, squatting or kneeling position less any other, it's how you get on his knees.

Should be avoided by all means have debts to avoid dam Eleguá the road and not give us many calamities and keeps us from death, tragedy and everything bad.

Ogun, Osun Oshosi and accompanying Eleguá always eat and are almost always gets the same thing to it. In Ogun and Oshosi warriors live together.

If there is a problem of justice is brought to Ogun Oshosi inside, he does the work days that are marked and then solve the problem is put back in Ogun.

Ogun Sometimes you just get and then you try to reinforce it at home, but check with your sponsor for the ceremonies that it needs.

Osun can not fall. Put it in a safe place where it can not be lying, because if for any reason were to fall you should immediately go to the home of his sponsor to notify, registering to find out the cause, as he warns you of any problems will have and you have to feed a pigeon. Osun, if you have or Ikofafún Awofaka must live next to it.

These Orishas serves them any day of the week, preferably Monday and Tuesday, they take a bit of honey, brandy and they are blowing smoke snuff check also occasionally butter smeared them palm oil, except that it will spread Osun cocoa butter.
        You should not walk with the Orishas Orishas and if the day previously had sex. In the case of women, should not go with any OSHA or Orisha when they are menstruating.

You should know and record all data for his godfather, these are: name, address, Guardian Angel, Osha birthday. And you should also know the name of your Elegua, the name of Ogun and the date it was consecrated.

Entrance to the Warriors home

All soldiers must be given entry to the house. This is done so that they know where they are living with the person who received them.

Fixtures for entry

A rooster
        1 pigeon
        Honey
        Brandy
        2 coconut
        4 candles
        Husk
        Tobacco
        Palm oil
        Smoked fish
        Roasted corn
        Smoked Jutía
        9 guinea peppers

Meals Warriors

1 goat
        A rooster
        1 pigeon
        1 cock
        Honey
        Brandy
        2 coconut
        4 candles
        Husk
        Tobacco
        Palm oil
        Smoked fish
        Roasted corn
        Smoked Jutía

YES THE 400 ARE MUCH REASONABLE .

Fri, April 1, 2011 - 8:10 AM
        Nice explanation Jeremy. And Orumila is right. They are a responsibility you have to be ready for. Its not like ok I got my Guerreros and that's it. You have to tend to them every Monday and do entrada etc.. You will wind up building a relationship with them all on your own and eventually learn little tricks and tips of things that they like. Its a beautiful thing. And I think $400 is more than reasonable being that you are from NJ if as Lookingbeyond said you are receiving a hand ma Eshu and getting his path. Mine was built by my Babalawo and I received his path and $400 is a deal..lol.

Fri, April 1, 2011 - 8:39 AM
        @ Louise yes $400. Does seem very reasonable. I've seen some house's charge from $750. And higher, but keep this I mind it's not alway's about them money it's about the ache that your god parents have, and if they got good hands. Meaning energy. But that's a fair price I you ask me.
        • Unsu...

Fri, April 1, 2011 - 10:24 AM
          @lookingbeyond - the elegua (or eshu since its from a babalawo) would be made by hand. I was told the path was Eshu Aye.

@Dana - yes, all that was explained to me but per the letter he pulled during divination, there is no need for entrada.

thanks for all the responses.

Fri, April 1, 2011 - 10:48 AM
            @ louise your on the right path, when I got my warriors of IFA I paid $1000. And my padrino was every up front with me about it and told me ( look my son I'm not the cheapest person to get your warriors from) and I respected that he was up front about it and at the time he explained to me what I was receiving. And I told him padrino if that's your dericho then that's your dericho on how much you feel your time is worth and I respect that. When I received my warriors I also received my IDE of orula and my eleke of orula as well. And went on to get my Mano of orula. Before I did my Ocha I had received all the things of IFA first so that when it was time to do my ocha everything would go peacefully and it did. And it was the best choice I had ever made..... Blessings to you and my orula bless you as he has me. :)
            • Unsu...

Fri, April 1, 2011 - 11:52 AM
              thanks alot jeremy. your responses have been really helpful.

Fri, April 1, 2011 - 12:54 PM
                Not a problem, that's what were here for.
                • Aso
                  Aso
                  offline 6

Fri, April 1, 2011 - 4:52 PM
                  I agree that it is a reasonable price. Before I made Ocha I also did Kofa, received my warriors, the name of my guardian angel and everything went well. In fact my ceremony was overwhelming but beautiful. LOL.
                  Aso
                  • This is the maximum depth. Additional responses will not be threaded.

Fri, April 1, 2011 - 5:11 PM
                    Lucumi/ Ifa is expensive I hope there's some sort of layaway plan hahah :)

Anyway ..it bothers me a bit as someone looking to step into the religion that here is someone being told to receive Warriors and has no clue as to why they are receiving it. Isnt it the responsibility of the Godfather/mother Ile to do so ?..Isnt there like an Introduction to the Orishas 101 you get to take.

When I do finally begin to follow the path I hope someone takes the time to explain stuff...hell I'm inquisitive and I read a lot so i'll find out but still it does not replace this image I have in my head of being seated at the feet of a Godparent and being explained the whys hows ifs etc :) There's something special about that elder/newbie whatever you want to call it bond . But it aint reality as I 've observed .

Fri, April 1, 2011 - 5:39 PM
                      Now I'm not sure in some people's situations but like my padrino told me a close mouth don't get fed. It is also the one who is recieving the warriors to ask question's as well. But yes your godparent should explain every detail on the who, what,why answer's so that the godchild knows why they need them and how to take care of them. There not just a decoration to spurce up your house, they are you first Orishas and with that come's great responsibility. Ask your godparent as many questions you need and if they speak only Spanish have some one you trust and know who speaks Spanish interpret for you. And if you have questions you can always come here. Now here's another note I would like to share, make sure that this is the spiritual path you choose and you are 100% certain. The reason I say this is I have seen people who go one to get there warriors then later change there mind and decided to be a morman or Christian and throw them away or put them in a storage, this is a no,no don't ever do this. Go to your good parents tell them the situation and they will go from there......
                    • Unsu...

Sat, April 2, 2011 - 3:16 AM
                      @sasha - I'm sorry if i wasnt clear in my first post. the babalawo who read me did explain what it meant to receive warriors. i just wanted to get feedback from the people on this tribe that went through the ceremony. i never said i wanted to step into this religion. i went through the elekes ceromony two years ago and have been wanting to go further but its expensive for me.so i am taking my time. i come from a house of ocha that doesnt use babalawos.a few weeks back on this tribe there was a post about apetebis that got my thinkin about IFA. so with my madrinas blessing which wasnt easy i went and got read by a babalawo. i thought the way he explained IFA was beautiful and something i knew deep down was for me. i just had a problem with what i perceived as servitude regarding the role of apetibi. but this babalawo told me "its not the babalawo you serve but Orula".

that i can get with.
                      i hope this doesnt strain my relationship with my madrina, but i believe i have my own path to follow.

Sat, April 2, 2011 - 10:45 AM
                        Abo ru , abo ye , abo sise. My respect to all the elders.

With great humility I'd like to offer my humble yet very much EMPHASIZED opinion. It is not my intent to start an argument but I'm sure the Babalawo informed you that it is only in Ifa that you find the camino for each and every of the odu that may come up. You wouldn't want to be crowned the wrong orisa, you wouldn't want to receive the wrong Eshu.

The warriors will help to provide a foundation or basis for your spiritual growth within your life, I know it may seem expensive, warriors here through a babalawo is 850.00. It may seem like a heck of a lot of money...and it is. But when you think about what the warriors will help enable you to do, the cost is miniscule. You will have baba eshu, baba oggun, baba oshosi, and baba osun, as honored members in your home.

If money is an issue...it may seem impertinent, perhaps even inauspicious, but I'd say pray for money. Pray that you be enabled with the means to purchase your warriors....and most importantly when you do receive the money (that's the thing about prayer, usually when I truly pray for something it comes true). You spend it on your warriors and your warriors ONLY.

May the blessings of the great divine, the orisa and ever other beneficent energy in this universe bless and keep your paces!
                        • Unsu...

Sun, April 3, 2011 - 12:38 PM

You wouldn't want to be crowned the wrong orisa, you wouldn't want to receive the wrong Eshu.

IN YORUBA IFA, THERE IS NO WRONG ORISA, THAT IS A MADE UP DIASPORIC IDEA

The warriors will help to provide a foundation or basis for your spiritual growth within your life,

IN A NUTSHELL, THAT IS THE IDEA,

I know it may seem expensive, warriors here through a babalawo is 850.00. It may seem like a heck of a lot of money...and it is. But when you think about what the warriors will help enable you to do, the cost is miniscule. You will have baba eshu, baba oggun, baba oshosi, and baba osun, as honored members in your home.

TRADITIONALLY SPEAKING, YOU CAN RECEIVE OCHOSI, BUT IT IS A HUGE CEREMONY IN AND OF ITSELF, THE LITTLE CROSSBOW IS NOT SO TRADITONAL

OSU IS RECEIVED AS A MARKER OF THOSE WHO HAVE RECEIVED ODU, IF YOU HAVENT RECEIVED ODU, YOU HAVE NO REASDON TO HAVE AN OSU

If money is an issue...it may seem impertinent, perhaps even inauspicious, but I'd say pray for money. Pray that you be enabled with the means to purchase your warriors....and most importantly when you do receive the money (that's the thing about prayer, usually when I truly pray for something it comes true). You spend it on your warriors and your warriors ONLY.

PLEASE TELL ME THAT BABALAWOS IN DENVER ARE NOT CHARGING 850.00 FOR WARRIORS. IF THEY ARE, THEY ARE RIPPING PEOPLE OFF AND THEY NEED TO BE DEALT WITH

IRE,

AWO FABUKUN

Sun, April 3, 2011 - 6:27 PM
                            @ yorubawo my feelings on this is if a babalow is charging $850. For his dericho then that's he's dericho. That's what he feel's his time is worth and who are we to argue what he feel's his time is worth. I paid $1000. For mine did I feel I got ripped off no cause I know they were done right. I do under stand Thoe that Cuban IFA is different than African IFA althoe similar. But in Colorado there is probaly hardly any babalows in that region and it is difficult for people to travel to get things done cheaper. But if that person needs things done at least he is a drive away. For example, I see people running to Cuba or even let's miami but they live in ca but they need things done like feeding there ESU so they can get a job they are applying too, and have ESU open the doors for them. To me it does not make sense. Yea $850. May seem a lot but at least you have that godparents close to you were if you need things done you can drive down the street instead of hoping on a plane spending twice that money on hotel stay and food just to get your things done for $30 bucks.....
                            • Unsu...

Sun, April 3, 2011 - 7:56 PM
                              Jeremy , I am an Awo trained in the lineage of Ode Remo. As an Awo, it is my right and my duty to ensure that I do my best to see that people do not get taken advantage of by Spiritual predators.

Knowing the process of mking Ebora, or warriors, one would know automatically that it just DOES NOT cost that much to conduct this initiatiation. Period.

Now, you paid 1,000.00 If you feel better about your Orisa becuase someone charged you an exorbitant price then fine. But lets get something straight. In Ifa, Orisa, there is no right way ... there is effective. As an awo trsined by Africans, I could pick apart the practices of many practicioners with ease but I choose not to becuase we all have choices ,voicews and the ability to question why things are happening.

I would exhort you in the future to start asking why, and stop being a part of this sytemic pron-blem we have by not questioning the llegitimacy of these ridiculously priced initiations.

Ire,
                              Awo Fabukun
                              • Unsu...

Sun, April 3, 2011 - 9:33 PM
                                Agbo Ato,

Jeremy,

I am glad to see that there was honesty about the derecho. And please understand that it was not my intention to attack anyone's character as yoruba culture enforces a very strict taboo on gossip and slander. It does happen from time to time tht an elder will find that he must establish a derecho based on the fact that without the derecho, no one appreciates what they are receiving or the sacrifice required to walk this path.

That being said, I still stand by the idea that 1,000.00 is an exorbitant derecho for the Ebora.

Ire,

Awo Fabukun

Sun, April 3, 2011 - 9:54 PM
                                  @ yorubaAwo no problem if you would had read on fearthur on my post you would had understood, yes
                                  It was a bit much but I heard and knew of this man's ache and I knew In my heart that he had good hads and faith
                                  Yes 1000, is alot but at the same time werei came from babalows were very few. And since I did my saint( chango ) it has very much complimeanted me so much, that I never thought about the money. @ yourbaAwo did you do your saint in africa or the states?
                                  • Unsu...

Sun, April 3, 2011 - 10:35 PM
                                    Kawo Kabiosile!!!!

I am Omo Sango / Olokun. And i did go back to read over the posts which is where i caught the discussion you had and i thought that was awesome that your Baba was so honest. Ya gotta respect that. That is defintely a true sign of good character.

I was initiated into Ocha and Ifa here in the states by my Ode Remo elders.

I had the same experince, initiating olokun and Sango was an incredible life changing experience that words cannot describe.

And I will say further that although our derechos may be a little lower, but there is still serious financial investment involved and i concur that it is just that .. an investment in changing your life for the better which is truly priceless. I could have spent the money on a car and a plasma tv but im sure you would agree that with a choice between material things and initiation, the plasma can wait.

Ire,

Awo Fabukun

• Unsu...

Mon, April 4, 2011 - 6:18 AM
                            @yorubawo - its my understanding that although lucumi was born from traditional IFA and Orisa worship it has evolved to the point where alot of practices are not the same.(tribe, please correct me if i am wrong).
                            So is it possible that the way both lines of worship could do ceremonies that would seem the same yet are different (ceremony, prices, etc)? I mean, even in the lucumi system there are regional/lineage differences. the warriors that the lucumi babalawo wants to give me are Esu,Ogun,Ochossi, and Osun. again please correct me if i am wrong but in your system its my understanding that they dont give Osun (Osu).

@kingsovereign - thank you for your response but my personal beliefs dont allow me to pray for something like money. I was taught to pray for health, peace, and tranquility. as long as i have those things i can always find a way to get money. yes, i have been taking my time with the different levels of initiations because its expensive but more so because i have been researching this beautiful tradition before i jump totally into it.

and with regard to research, i have learned more about this tradition over a cup of coffee with my godparents than from any book ive read or website i have ever visited.

Wed, April 6, 2011 - 6:59 PM
        Louise,

Your blessings such as financial stability, no problems with the law, and health will be many and will top the money invested many times over.
        I got my guereros in a very bad economic downturn affecting the field that I work in, and I was able to get a job and keep my home and at least have enough to pay for my bills.

I was also blessed with three beautiful and healthy boys.

Hijo de Oshun
        • Unsu...

Thu, April 7, 2011 - 8:24 AM
          Louise - if you can afford it right now, it would be a great step forward in your spiritual life to receive them. Like Hijo De Ochun, I receieved mine during a time of great turmoil in my life. My physical and spiritual life has changed dramatically since then and Olofin willing, I will be ordained into the priesthood of Yemaya by the end of the year. One thing I have learned since I began this walk is that sh*t still happens regardless of what I do in this religion.When I first started I was under the wrong impression that I would somehow be exempt from the sudden drops in this rollercoaster called life once I started to receive different Orisha. But what I have learned is that life happens regardless. The Orishas have given me the strength to deal with those "drops" and have done for me what I couldnt do for myself.

Good luck to you

Jay -

Recent topics in "Santeria"

Topic Author Replies Last Post
my elekes ruperto 5 April 14, 2014
Traje de Coronacion Gianna 5 April 13, 2014
Defending our Faith Anna 4 April 11, 2014
Family member at Ocha crowning?? Lazaro 1 April 9, 2014