Advertisement

Oddua

topic posted Fri, January 27, 2006 - 2:10 PM by  Jesse
Share/Save/Bookmark
Aboru Aboye Abosise
Bendicion

Greetings all

I have planned a trip to go to Cuba this coming March to receive Oddua. I was curious if any in the group have received this Orisha and could enlighten me a little on their experience and possibly tell me a little more about Oddua and the Orishas received with Oddua.

Alafia
Jesse
posted by:
Jesse
Atlanta
Advertisement
  • Unsu...

Re: Oddua

01/27
    Alaafia,

This is something I am interested in too!!! I haven't been able to find much information yet at all.

Little pieces in books, some threads from time to time. As a matter of fact I was at a bookstore on New York Ave (?) in Brooklyn, and I asked about this Orisha and the shop owner told me that the people who have been initiated to Oddua have to write something on it, and they haven't yet.

So I am still searching.

Peace
    Amira
  • Unsu...

01/27
    I hope you have a reliable contact in Cuba cause I've known at least 6 people who came back with fake Oduas.

The Orishas received with Odua are Boromu and Brosia. You also have to have Oshanla. In some ramas you also need Eruaye.

Be very careful to clean the blood off your Orishas as that is one of the reasons they confiscate Orishas coming back into the country.

I'm off to eat dinner but I'll write more about these Orishas when I get back.

Shloma
  • Unsu...

01/27
    This is not quite on topic, but many of the Orishas whose domains are more massive have "support Orishas" that must be propitiated prior to the feeding of the main Orisha. Among these are Odua and Olokun. In our lineage, our Olokun ceremony is much more elaborate than those I've seen elsewhere. Boromu must eat, Yewa must eat, and quite a few special chants much be sung in order to summon Olokun to live in the pot. There is evidence of these ceremonies in some older Cuban ethnographies, and the patriarch of our lineage (ibaye) was a very old Oriate who remembered the ceremonies done this way. Even some Orishas whose domains are less "cosmic" have these "support" Orishas. Oshosi, for instance cannot be made unless Inle eats, and Inle cannot be made unless both Oshosi and Boromu eat. There are other examples, such as Boromu eating before Yewa, as well as several others. It's way past my bedtime, so I'll close. I'll try to get to your question about Odua tomorrow. Good night and pleasant dreams.
    • Re: Oddua

01/28
      Bendicion

Thank you for your fore-warning, and for your response, I plan on going to Cuba with my Padrino and Ojibonna and dealing strictly with those from the house of Ocha from which I was born. I have heard many horror stories as well.

I have already received Orishanla (my mother in Ocha) and will be bringing her to Cuba, for the ceremony, I know little of the other Orishas you mentioned.

Out of curiosity is there a difference in receiving Oddua from a Babalawo or from an Oriate, the way my Padrino described it to me, In Cuba I would be receiving from Oddua from both a Babalawo and a Oriate, kind of like receiving two Oddua's or receiving Oddua twice (or at least thats how I understood it).

Thank you so much, I look forward to hearing more.

Alafia
      Jesse

Recent topics in "Santeria"

Topic Author Replies Last Post
Sex! FourgeN. 1 Yesterday, 6:12 PM
feeling down and loosing my faith... Yansa787 16 July 25, 2014
Newly initiated!!! Aggayusita 11 July 25, 2014
7/19/2014 ITADOGUN Fagbemijo Am... 0 July 20, 2014