Advertisement

Lesser known Orishas

topic posted Wed, August 10, 2005 - 8:31 AM by  Unsubscribed
Share/Save/Bookmark
Hi there,

A while back, Dominic asked me to elaborate on some of the more obscure Orishas, so, since I have a little time on my hands, I thought I'd write a little blurb on a few of them ...

Aje Shaluga - The Orisha of wealth. Related to Obatala and Yemoja. She lives in an urn similar to one used for Yemoja, although she can live in white. According to the odu in which she is born, she can live near any Orisha. For instance, if the Odu that falls is Oshe (5), she would be kept near Oshun. In addition to the secret elements in her urn, she also contains coins from around the world (which can be a pain in the ass because many countries make their coins from metals which rust) as well as semi-precious stones. She is a wife of Olokun. Since I received the Orisha I have never been in a desperate financial situation. She does not have eleke, but I have made one for her that is similar to that of Olokun or Olosa with coins and cowries just to decorate her urn.

Olosa - The Orisha of Lagoons. She is another wife of Olokun. She represents the lagoons that precede the ocean. Her symbol is the crocodile and she also, like Aje, lives in an urn that resembles that of Yemoja or Olokun. Mine is in terra cotta. Her beads are milky white, dark blue, translucent blue, as well as coral.

Ananagu - The Yoruba Pandora. Her curiosity caused her to open the chest containing all the osogbos, thus unleashing them on the world. I call her the "mezuzah" of the Orishas, as she lives at the front door. She is syncretized with the massacre of the innocents from the book of Exodus in the bible in that any house in which she guards the door will be passed over by Osogbo. I fully credit her with the regaining of my health from the deadly cancer with which I was diagnosed. She is the daughter of Olokun and a female Orisha I can't remember, but she was raised by Yemoja Asesu. She is a cosmic Orisha, as is reflected by the tools in her sopera. Her sopera resembles that of Yemoja or Olokun. Her eleke resembles that of Olokun.

Irawo - Born with Orisha Oko, this is the Orisha of the stars. His main tool is a shooting star and a thunderstone. He is born directly from Orisha Oko, usually when he is received, but this practice has fallen out of use. He has no eleke and lives in a small dish like that of Elegba. He is associated with astrologyl

Maaselobi - Shango has no official mother, except in the story in which Yemoja gave birth to the 16 main Orishas. Shango, for the most part, is considered to have been born directly from Olorun. Maaselobi is the spark of Olorun from which Shango was born from. Her eleke is a mixture of Yemoja and Shango. She lives in an urn similar to that of Yemoja. He shrine implements resemble Yemoja more than Shango.

Logun Ede - An Orisha whose cult totally died out in Cuba (although he is still remembered in stories as "Laro"), he still flourished in Brazil. He is the son of Erinle and Oshun Iponda and lives half the year in the forest with his father and the other half in the river with his mother (interestingly, Iponda lives in the woods as well as does Erinle in the river). Logun is androgynous and is considered by many to be the patron of gay, lesbian, and transgendered people. He is an Orisha of finery and beauty like his mother and father. One of Logun's primary symbols is the scale, as he brings balance in all things. His eleke is light blue and amber with accents of coral.

Nanu - A female road of Asojano/Babaluaiye who dresses entirely in black. She lives in the ceiba tree and her sacred stone is petrified wood. In some houses her eleke is all black, while in others it is interpersed with white beads with black stripes.

Otin - The servant of Yemoja. She saved Yemoja's life when Oshun attempted to push her off a cliff when they were arguing over the love of Erinle. Otin brings stability to the children of Yemoja. Her eleke is half dark blue and half light blue with branch coral interpersed.

Ayao - The "little sister" of Oya. In the past she was only consecrated for children of Oya, but now she is given to many priests of other Orishas who have special affinities with Oya. She is represented by the whirlwind. Her vessel must never touch the ground as it is said to bring the cyclone down to the earth. She is associated with Osanyin and vicious witchcraft.

Ibu Aye - A road of Oshun as a small child. This road would not be a road that would go to the head of an initiate. She was given to Oshun by Ogun in order that she regain her happiness. She is received with an Eshu that works specifically. She is associated with music, happiness and joy.

Agidai - Afudashe is the ability to speak with prophecy, particularly through divination. Agidai is the patron of the italero/oriate and cowrie divination in general. His eleke is like that of Obatala but has a section for the four main Orishas (Obatala, Yemoja, Shango, and Oshun)

Ogan - The war general of Obatlala Ajaguna and Obatala Osha Ogiyan. His eleke is white and red, much like that of Ajaguna.

Yembo - The mother, or oldest aspect, of Yemoja. She gave birth to the celestial bodies and is considered incredibly austere and elevated. Here eleke looks like a cross between Yemoja Asesu (although the coral should be white) and Obatala. Because Ogun violated her, metal knives are never used to sacrifice to her. I use glass, bamboo, or ivory.

I'll write some more later. Take it easy!
Scy
posted by:
Unsubscribed
Advertisement
  • Re: Lesser known Orishas

Wed, August 10, 2005 - 4:09 PM
    Wow that is really cool. I have directed my godbrother to this as well, he is made to Asesu. I think he completes 10 years this September. Thank you very much for this information.

Fri, August 12, 2005 - 2:22 AM
    alafia,

a wonderful list of some orisha that alot of initiates and non initiates do not know about.

i'm wondering if yembo is the same as yemmu ? or yemowo? and if not do you know of anyone who has received yemmu or yemowo? also i think that oba is not too obscure but i thought of oba and yewa as i read your post and wondered if you knew of any of the lucumi faith who had received yewa.

to introduce myself i am a priestess of obatala and i really enjoy your posts.

live peacefully,
    meri
    • Unsu...

Re: Lesser known Orishas

Fri, August 12, 2005 - 6:45 AM
      Hi :-)

Yes, Yembo is the same as Yemmu or Yemowo. In addition to being received as an adimu Orisha, she is propitiated in certain ceremonies such as when one receives Oddua. Yembo is just a Lukumi pronounciation for a Yoruba word.

I know quite a few people in the religion who have Yewa. She is my godfather's mother Orisha. I have take part in her ceremonies in a slightly limited way, as I hve not received her, but they are among the most beautiful in the religion.

There is a man, quite old by now I would guess, simply because he has had Osha so long, who has Yewa initiated directed to his head. His name is Rene. They call him "Rene Yewa". He is a very refined and elegant gentleman.

The sopera of Yewa lives in a large basket with exquisite decorations. I have some pictures around here made my the extremely talented Orisha beadworked and artisan Frank Mendez.

I have several Odu from both Osha and knife that have dictated to me the need to receive Yewa, but I'm putting it off. I take things to my godfather's Yewa and talk to her there for now.

Onareo,
      Scy Rosenberg

Fri, August 12, 2005 - 2:26 AM
    oh one more thing-

the adjustment of receiving additional orisha is deep.
    you are very flexible and resilient ( excuse the spelling) to have done so with some of the more obsure, however it is the lucumi way to receive more than one at the time of ocha so therefore i sometimes believe it sets up a energetic response to receiving more later on that may be 'easier' on the system so to speak. in our ile you receive one and more later as i see you've discussed in another thread. i've found the energetic changes to be most interesting to adjust to.

peace,
    meri
    • Unsu...

Fri, August 12, 2005 - 7:05 AM
      Hi,

I don't know if I quite got what you were saying, but I think I did, and I agree that we are, from the beginning, conditioned to receive several Orishas at a time. The four main Orishas received in Osha (not counting the Warriors who are at the centre and Oya who was added as one of the Orishas received well into the 20th century) however, are the fundamental pillars of Osha, and therefore balance each others' stregth, which is then guided by the warriors. Beyond that, however, just about every Orisha I have recieved has packed a wallop that I have had to take a great deal of time and care to assimilate.

I am seeing more and more people just hurling Orishas around to whomever has the cash to pay for the ceremonies. Olokun is sold like a goldfish bowl, the Ibeji are give to people who have NO concept whatsoever of what they are all about (most people rely on Mason's polarity BS). I have seen aleyos receiving Inle, Oba, Nanu, and all these are in addition to "medio asiento" or "santo lavado" in which a proselyte receives his Orisha(s) but it not crowned as a priest. This latter is totally acceptable, but I'd be hard pressed to figure out what need an aleyo would have for Nana Buruku!

If I had it to do over again, I'm not sure that I would receive so many so fast. I know that I really "had" to, since my godchildren, whose numbers were mounting daily, had many Orishas to receive. Still in all, the spiritual pounding you get from receiving some of the heavy hitters, like Nana Buruku, Aganju, Olokun, and Asojano/Babaluaiye, can be really daunting. It has only been since my retirement that I have been able to reconnect with my Orishas in the same way that I used to 15 years ago.

Onareo! (and nice to meet you!)
      Scy Ronseberg

Fri, August 12, 2005 - 9:56 AM
        *I am seeing more and more people just hurling Orishas around to whomever has the cash to pay for the ceremonies. Olokun is sold like a goldfish bowl, the Ibeji are give to people who have NO concept whatsoever of what they are all about (most people rely on Mason's polarity BS).*

First of all, I want to thank you for your postings. They are refreshing and one of the things that make this tribe, so difrent from the other Internet groups!!!
        Secondly, yes I agree wholeheartedly with the above statement. People are receiving Orisha's with no concept of what it is they are receiving. In some cases, they just don't take the time to listen when their godparent is explaining the meaning to them. In most cases, godparents aren't taking the time to sit down and explain things to them. Thanks again for your posts, I do hope you continue. It makes me feel guilty, as I don't ever seem to have anything of real value to post here in exchange.... :)
        • Unsu...

Fri, August 12, 2005 - 1:44 PM
          I am very honoured that you find what I have to write important to you, but don't sell yourself short. There are a precious few who post out of all the members of this tribe and you are one. I found your most recent post about making Osha not solving your problems vitally important, esp. for aleyos.

Also, I've got one of those brains that just rattles off facts. I'm kind of jealous of people with poetic hearts. I'd like to see you and others on this forum talking about their lives before and after Osha, and how one's perception of Osha differs so greatly as an aleyo from what they actually get as an Olosha.

As far as me ... so I can tell you about a bunch of weird Orishas nobody has heard of. Big deal. I know an elderly Oshun priestess in Miami that said to me, "You can get all the Nanas and Yewas and Olosas you want, but if Yemoja can't save you, nobody can." And that, my dear friend, is the whole thing in a nutshell.

Onareo,
          Afolabi

Fri, August 12, 2005 - 5:17 PM
            Thanks Scy....

I usually find myself in awe of of the Olosha's who can rattle off odu and talk about lesser known Orisha's so easily. I've always been more of a "feelings" person than a facts person. Hand me some cowrie shells and ask me about odu and I'll give you blank stare. Give me a candle, cigar, and a glass of water and I'm ready to work!!! I think our western society values fact-based intellect over feeling based intellect. I got to learn to shrug off that inferiority complex!

Fri, August 12, 2005 - 6:01 PM
        greetings,
        and nice to meet you too!
        you got what i was saying. i can tell by your answer.

and yes, i've gotten quite a 'wallop' as you say from receiving one of the more commonly known ones. i looked over your post and thought that some of those orishas must have really been interesting to assimilate over time.
        i wasn't counting the warriors either in my reflection. and i'd forgotten the fact that if you are a godparent in some of the diasporic traditions that you must have what you are giving-i hope this makes sense.

also a interesting observation about the ways that orishas are being 'given' to those who can pay.

in peace,
        meri
        • Unsu...

Fri, August 12, 2005 - 7:06 PM
          Hi Meri,

I have a deep and, I believe, valid fear that unless something is done about the financial situation in the religion, it will fall into some kind of caste system in which only the elite will be able to afford to progress in this religion.

I recently spoke with a really great guy who needed to receive an adimu Orisha (for those who don't know, an adimu Orisha is one that is usually received outside the initiation to the priesthood -- the warriors are an exception to this term). He found a person to give it to him who was quite far from his home who charged him an OBSCENE amount of money for the Orisha. This particular Orisha is very simple to prepare, and, due to this expediency, there would be no reason for exorbitant grocery bills, etc. The Orisha is also received without ita, so no four-legged animals are required. When I give this Orisha I usually charge around 300 dollars. This priest charged him, I believe, 1700!!! The amount that I charge includes everything from the tools, which my father makes, to the vessel and the animals.

On top of all this, when one receives this Orisha there are actually supposed to be two Orishas received, kind of like Inle and Abatan or Iroko and Ondo. This priest did not give my friend the second Orisha, or even mention its necessity. He did, however, quote him some more insane prices for Orishas "he just couldn't live without."

If I come out of retirement, it will be to set up a religious community in which all are welcome, from the most conservative looking school marm to the wildest Radical Faerie. There will be sliding scale fees, scholarships, work study, pot luck dinners instead of the initiate putting out a thousand dollars in groceries, retreats, respect of all gender identity and sexual preference. I know that this sounds trite, but most people fail to realize that the Latin population in the religion is INCREDIBLY conservative, bot socially and politically. Read my article on gays in the religion to get a grasp on that ( mysticcurio.com/cyclone/shove.htm ). Keep in mind that I wrote it when I was VERY young in the religion and VERY naive. I am presently working on another article and/or pamphlet/book documenting the contributions of Queer priests to our religion. I will relish the scandal :-)

So that's my big bitch about the weird money karma in the religion which I have repeated ad nauseum, but I really want people to see that a possibility does exist and a new day is coming in the Orisha worshiping world. We want to keep the rules of orthodoxy, we want to maintain the ashe of our ancestors, but at the same time we know they weren't perfect, and we want to create an accessible, sustainable tradition. We are also aware that priests have incredible demands on their time, and there is nothing wrong with compensating that, but there are ways of cutting the cost of initiation by thousands of dollars without taking a dime away from the godparent.

As for assimilating some of those obscure Orishas, I've got some pretty funny stories, but I'm exhausted, so they'll have to wait. Thanks for stimulating conversation Meri!

Onareo,
          Scy

Fri, August 12, 2005 - 8:09 PM
            *If I come out of retirement, it will be to set up a religious community in which all are welcome, from the most conservative looking school marm to the wildest Radical Faerie. There will be sliding scale fees, scholarships, work study, pot luck dinners instead of the initiate putting out a thousand dollars in groceries, retreats, respect of all gender identity and sexual preference. I know that this sounds trite, but most people fail to realize that the Latin population in the religion is INCREDIBLY conservative*

Amen brother preach on...and you may not know it, but there are plenty of priests out here who would agree with you. I think a lot of people are fearful of the reaction of their godparents and religious families were they to deviate from the norm.

Sat, August 13, 2005 - 1:18 AM
              When something, anything, man, woman, child, dog, cat, church, state and anything in between, resists change it smashes itself against the rocks of it's destruction.

I too have many questions about the way money is used in this tradition. I've been taken advantage of over money, I've heard of other stories. What concerns me is that these people, know enough about the Orisha traditions to know that they're playing with primordial forces and the spiritual souls of individuals, and yet they expect no repercussions... no censure... no comeuppance.

One of my father's oldest friends, a priest, a homegrown babalawo, told me that these people are at risk of being stripped of all grace, their Orishas and worst. But it makes no difference to these people, they continue, wrapped up in themselves and convinced of their 'rightness'.

In terms of the inflexibility of elders, and their rigid conservatism, personally I find it frustrating.... and I blame Catholicism wholly and completely. They've invented pataki to hold back gay people, they've invented pataki to hold back women like myself (Daughters of Ifa). When in truth, I adhere to the thing that you fear the most, is thing you must embrace.

I've been told now three times Orunmilla is the Orisha on my head. I've been told three times now I am to be a diviner. Mind you no Cuban practioner has ever divined for me. All my divinations have been done by Trinidadians or Nigerians.

The most recent one, said that I have the potential to be a leader... a leader within the tradtion.

I ponder it, and II ponder what kind of road is ahead of me and if and when this is to, will go down. But you know, if and when it happens, I will be like you Scy... I wouldn't seek to thwart people to shore up my pocket or ego.

Tradition is vitally important... but tradition MUST change to grow. It MUST or it will die.

Sat, August 13, 2005 - 10:17 AM
            alafia scy,

the money thang.
            goodness.
            where to begin. really i guess the question is where to draw the line.
            i concurr with your vision of the type of ile you would start if you come out of retirement. i love the way you said you'd hold on to the orthodoxy. that's interesting! alot of folk, would say that just by accepting the folk that you would welcome into your house as well as how you'd go about it is in complete opposition to orthodoxy. but i get what you mean.
            folks add their personal bias and issues into the mix and wanna act like it was the way it was handed down from africa over 10,000 years ago and that just ain't so!
            my point being for us to practice in this day and age things will change and always have changed. there are ways to check out changes and make sure that they are in alignment with...well you know what i'm sayin! but to rehash a old example, just us meeting and discussing things on the internet requires some adaptation of the adherents of the faith. this faith survives by careful and cautious adaptation that rest in alignment with the forces of nature, in my opinion.

the fun part is sitting down with a group of folks and facing the adaptations and adjusting to them without losing the essence of the faith. i'm conscious of being on a public forum and i'm not going into great detail but i look forward to having this discussion with some priest/esses some time....

one other big thing for the faith is talking out loud about things like money as i know you know. folk don't know if $1700 is robbery because when they try to do a little research or ask around in many cases the walls come down and folk are accusing them of not trusting their godparent. that's not the case in all situations from my standpoint but it does foster a climate of fear, sneaking about, distrust and eventually could lead to feeling ripped off. then you look at the trust factor and how many godparents factor the money thing into that-they sound like a school yard predator to me sometimes----"if you trusted me, you wouldn't ask questions. you'd just ( pay me, let me, believe me, fill in the blank...)."
            the money thang needs to be discussed openly by somebody somewhere sometime without all the drama for those who are seeking and really don't know and for those who think they know and need to know more. i'm not feeling like there should be a set price for everyone and we know this faith won't abide by that, or rather the practitioners wouldn't, and i don't want to see that but i do want to see more dialouge about what's what.

be peaceful,
            meri
            • Unsu...

Sat, August 13, 2005 - 11:41 AM
              Haha! I totally dig what you're saying in a far out way about people thinking that having pierced and tattooed transgendered godchildren deciding on their own whether they are going to wear skirt or pants in their first year is so subversive to their perception of "orthodoxy." I get it every time I initiate someone and people have to suffer my shapeshifting, chameleon guises (beard and yarmulke when I was studying with rabbis, green hair in honour of my best friend's initiation to Erinle, various bits of metal stuck through my face, etc.). But you know, a wise man once said "First figure out who you are, then adorn yourself accordingly." I might walk in looking like I stepped out of Piccadilly Circus, but when the time comes for the ceremonies to start *I* am the godfather and *I* say what goes where. In the face of my uncompromising religious traditionalism, they have to shut their gossipy mouths.

Since my appearance is a matter of self-expression that is so important to me, I can't be a hypocrite to my own godchildrfen. So my policy with my Iyawos has always been: As longs as it's white, and modest, wear whatever the fuck you want." Putting women in three different kinds of underwear for the year after their Osha -- panties, bloomers, and slip -- is ridiculous ("SHE HAS A VAGINA!!! RUN!!!!).

Those kinds of things to me are not orthodoxy, they are cultural constructs shoehorned into our religion by white Spanish Catholics and then perpetuated into tradition. If half of these stuffed-shirt "elders" went to Oyo and saw women dancing to Shango, tits to the wind, they'd fall out of their chairs.

As for the money, that shit just has got to go. I don't think it's unreasonable to ask for payment for divination, for ebo ori, or for just about any other ritual act. People's time is not worthless, AND money is a very real and concrete sacrifice for most people. In addition, full-time priests have incredible demands on their time. I speak from experience, having a house that bulged at times to scores of people, each needing regular divination, ceremony, sacrifice, and other ritual work. Had I not charged for my services, I would have been in the poorhouse. STILL, costs can be cut DRASTICALLY without compromising ritual protocol. I think I've said it elsewhere ... why spend 500 bucks on an initiation garment when you could buy an exquisite dashiki for 75? or sew something yourself without all the Liberace glitz?

There are, however, other types of situations. I gave a guy Olokun for doing some pretty massive repairs around my house. Even now, I need to do some painting in my liviing room and due to health reasons I can't do it. Why NOT give someone the beads or warriors for something like that? It's not like the ceremony would be done in any way different than if the person was paying cash ... it would just be a different kind of sacrifice on HIS part as to how he achieves the ceremony.

Bartering, community aid, and coming together when a costly ceremony is required for a person who just doesn't have the resources MUST BECOME PART OF OUR TRADITION or it will go the way of so many others. Sacrifice is sacrifice, and we need to expand our vision and concept of just what constitutes it.

OK, my soapbox is about to break ...
              Onareo,
              Scy

Sat, August 13, 2005 - 12:13 PM
                *LY without compromising ritual protocol. I think I've said it elsewhere ... why spend 500 bucks on an initiation garment when you could buy an exquisite dashiki for 75? or sew something yourself without all the Liberace glitz?*

Ok, I have to admit, I love my glittery Ochun Traje. It has a gold crown on the chest for chrissakes. I felt like a superhero wearing it. But I hear you. I've actually seen some Iyawo's wearing very nicely done dashikis on their throne day. They weren't bad.

*Putting women in three different kinds of underwear for the year after their Osha -- panties, bloomers, and slip -- is ridiculous ("SHE HAS A VAGINA!!! RUN!!!!). *

Ugh, I have mixed feelings about this one. The unspoken rule I've seen in action is that female Iyawo's are only required to wear all that stuff at religious functions (like Anya). The rest of the time they can get away with wearing white modest clothing. I know, it smacks of sexism and colonialism. But jeesh I kind of like seeing the Iyawo's dressed traditionally. My godfather required his male Iyawo's to wear boxers, long pants and long sleeved shirts with t-shirts (never tank tops). People thought that was extreme. I actually enjoyed it. But again, I tend towards extremism. Plus I think that straight males in this tradition are a bit coddled. They need a little whipping into shape.

Hey mind if I start a new thread in reagards to the "money question"?

• Unsu...

Sat, August 13, 2005 - 12:41 PM
                  Go for it on the money question ...

As a Babalorisha who has had probably more than a couple hundred thousand dollars pass through my hands I am (or, more accurately, WAS) an integral part of the money tree that sometimes doubles for this religion. Still, most of it DID "pass" through my hands and at the end of the day I didn't have much left over. The animal guy got his, the seamstress got hers, the cook got hers, the grocery store got theirs. I actually paid for the initiations of several of my godchildren or robbed peter to pay paul in order that people got what they needed. Suffice it to say that I wasn't rolling a Lexus. I say none of this with sour grapes tho ... I'm sure I'd do it all over again. I just hope that if I do come out of retirement I will not set myself up for another meltdown.

As far as glittering trajes are concerned, I'm right with you on it if that is what the Iyawo desires and can afford. What I'm talking about is people in desperate situations and the godparent won't sacrifice the fashion show in order that the person get what they need spiritually.

It would be great if godparents and godchildren could sit down and say "OK, if you want chinese porcelain urns they will cost x amount of dollars, and if you want a gold wedding dress for Oshun that will be another x amount, but if you can't afford that we can give you plain simple vessels which will save you about 300 dollars and a nice African dress that will save you 400 bucks."

Being honest and upfront about costs has always worked well for me, especially with my own godfather. I call and say "Padrino, I want to receive Ananagu." and he says, "OK, put x amount to Shango, then go get the pot, the tools, the plants (he usually gets these from the back yard), and the animals, and we'll do it. He makes no bones about the fact that the money I put in front of Shango is Shango's derecho. He doesn't pretend or hand me a line of bullshit. It's all honesty, and that can keep an ile together better than any spiritual tyranny.
  • T.
    T.
    offline 11

Sat, March 23, 2013 - 10:34 AM
    So can anyone please tell me what is the average cost of receiving the Orisha Inle?
    • Unsu...

Sat, March 23, 2013 - 11:55 PM
      @T...was this in your Ita? to receive Inle? I ask because..it is not "that" common of an Orisha to have. did your godparent divine this need for u? Sometimes I am concerned about those being told to get /collect so many Orisha..when not necessary..and of course the culmative cost!..But whatever....
      BTW as a "coinkidink" I made Ifa in the town of "Erinle's"/ Inle's birth: Ilobu ..and really don't know a great deal about Erinle..and it was never mentioned in any of my Ita's to have Erinle.
      Below is an old Article(web address) of Willie Ramos' regarding ( now I am definitely not talking about Erinle here!) spurious or pseudo Orisha..or those which literally died out long ago in Cuba..and were miraculously resurrected recently in Cuba. I.E......I made Oya in Regla in a house that had about 40 years of making Ocha...and even though I made Oya as I said .....i was not given her "younger sister" Ayao and was never even told about this younger sister AyaĆ³ (AjaĆ³) during my whole time there (she is lised in WR's list..as one that died out long ago in Cuba.)
      as to an average price of Erinle...no idea..but just wanted to bring up the issue of collecting Orisha..that may or may not even be real Orisha..or fake. I mean money isn't cheap!..well unless one is wealthy.

eleda.org/blog/2010/12/...has/#more-2249
      • Unsu...

Tue, March 26, 2013 - 5:35 AM
        Why would anyone want to recieve Logun Ede? Or Nana buruku or Obaluaje, Ode,Oba, and so on. If lukumi doesnt know the cerimonies to crown these orishas , make whats you think they know how to give them out? Makes zero sese to me.

Sun, March 23, 2014 - 2:44 AM
          Lucumi isn't the only orisha tradition there is though.

Nana & Obaluaye are say both principal for the Arara, it's very possible to get the orisha in different traditions than Lucumi if they are needed for one's healing, for one's immediate situation, for one's path they *need* to walk.

Besides if the person *needs* the orisha, the orisha *will* make sure they get to the hands of people that know how to initiate to Them. This isn't only about human knowledge, humans are fallible, but thankfully Olodumare's knowledge is vast and not limited to sending Their angels to people according to what humans deem possible or likely with one tradition. ;)

Recent topics in "Santeria"

Topic Author Replies Last Post
Caretaking the Warriors FourgeN. 16 Today, 1:14 PM
Gods? Spirits? Other? FourgeN. 0 Today, 12:04 PM
Community Reading -- Itadogun 10/23/2014 Fagbemijo Am... 0 October 23, 2014
Orula Reading FourgeN. 2 October 11, 2014