Advertisement

blue dye for spiritual bath?

topic posted Sun, September 16, 2012 - 10:22 AM by  A.D.
Share/Save/Bookmark
Its like a blue piece of camphor but the elder didnt exactly tell me what to do. I am trying to conceive any connection to that specificaly? All insight is appreciated
posted by:
A.D.
Philadelphia
Advertisement
  • Re: blue dye for spiritual bath?

Sun, September 16, 2012 - 1:28 PM
    This is a folk remedy attached to New Orleans hoodoo practices, it is for uncrossing, to open the paths. You use Reckitt's crown blue, which is a bluing agent used to whiten clothes, you can find it sometimes at botanicas or go on the internet and buy some. You put it in the water and take a spiritual bath with it, you can read on the internet about how to do a spiritual bath. It is not specifically tied to Santeria as far as I know, but some people combine hoodoo remedies with Santeria when they are prescribing ebo.
    Here's a link about blue spiritual baths:
    readersandrootworkers.org/wiki/...pening
    Hope this helps. Blessings.
  • Ire
    Ire
    offline 0

Re: blue dye for spiritual bath?

Mon, September 17, 2012 - 7:32 AM
    Years ago I heard that it referred to as "anil madamo". It used to come in little marble-sized balls and they're a rich blue color.

I've seen people use it in floor washes but not in a bath. Any elders who have handled the stuff...can you tell whether it would stain like crazy?

Mon, September 17, 2012 - 7:54 AM
      Bendicion,

Bluing stains but not quite like palm oil (LOL). Anil is a plant that is a source of indigo, a blue dye for cloth. There have been some toxiclology reports on indigo comsumed orally or in contact with delicate mucous membranes. Now, it seems, laundry bluing is what is used. The balls are still around but a lot of times a whole ball is not needed and cutting off a part of one is not as convenient as in those Rickett squares. I haven't really been prescribed a use for it in Santeria practices perse but have used it in baths and cleansings in Espirito practices.

Mon, September 17, 2012 - 10:28 AM
        Well in my ile blue is used quite often,alone and in combinations with other things,such as cascarilla,or camphor.It is used per reading or often prescribed by an eggun at a misa for a remedy or cure.It is placed in a bowl of cold water and camphor blocks are added,the bowl is then placed behind the enterance doors of the house,or under the bed,they are placed to prevent malavolent spirits from having enterance,and to depel any negativity in the home or in one's dreams,it is sprinkled through out the house,especially all the corners of the house for protection against evil,or to prepare for misa,it is used in the cleaning solution at the spiritual table for folks attending a misa,and yes it is used with cascarilla for a spiritual baths,especially those of us that pass congo spirits.It has always worked well for me and i always use it with great spiritual success.The blue and camphor left behind the doors and/or under the bed are refreshed and changed about every three or four months.Never use camphor for the bath as it is a very strong poison.Sometimes depending on the eggun in question i may add perfume,flowers,florida water,holywater,spices or yoruba herbs,and in extreme cases i add omiero,a little honey or eyefe from orula.It all depends on the need or prescribtion.Bluing stains have always easily washed out of clothing or furniture(as long as you don't wait too long to remove the stains)and i have never had a problem removing spatter from the walls or floor boards.alafia.

Mon, September 17, 2012 - 11:29 AM
          Bendicion,

Yes, basically this is how it is used in my Ile as well, as well as the camphor. Unfortunately, the mere whiff of camphor makes me quite sick so I personally never use it. Thinking back, I remember having a little difficulty with a stain from bluing as a thick viscous liquid from a bottle more than the forms used in the practices mentioned here
      • Ire
        Ire
        offline 0

Re: blue dye for spiritual bath?

Mon, September 17, 2012 - 4:34 PM
        That always confused me. I know that anil is indigo but indigo powder is green, the same way henna is green, so the balls must be made of something else.

Thanks for sharing the knowledge re: reckitt's blue.

Recent topics in "Santeria"

Topic Author Replies Last Post
feeling down and loosing my faith... Yansa787 13 July 22, 2014
Newly initiated!!! Aggayusita 10 July 20, 2014
7/19/2014 ITADOGUN Fagbemijo Am... 0 July 20, 2014
question interpretation... Yansa787 4 July 11, 2014