Advertisement

just found out who I am!!!!!!

topic posted Fri, March 12, 2010 - 11:00 AM by  ladii lola
Share/Save/Bookmark
I went today and found out who walks with me and guess who it is its "OYA" im so happy and excited...o boy I couldn't be happier...any info on her is truly excepted being that I only read on all the others never thought it would be her....

Xoxo ladii lola
posted by:
ladii lola
New York City
Advertisement
  • Re: just found out who I am!!!!!!

Fri, March 12, 2010 - 11:29 AM
    how did u find out?

Fri, March 12, 2010 - 11:32 AM
      Goddess of the flashes, the storms and the winds. The violent and impetuous Oyá (Virgin of the Candelaria), loves the war and accompanies Changó in her battles. She is the owner of the cemetery and lives in its door, near Obba and Yewá, the other "dead ones ".
      so watch your anger
      She is distinguished for the colors of her skirt. It has nine colors but does not include black, and the iruke (kind of brush with long fibres) that brandishes in her right hand.
      Her necklace is brown, white and black.
      Her number is nine.
      She is a ferocious warrior that rides to the war with Changó (she shares the lightings and the fires with him) . She was once Oggúns wife. When she is calm is a rural, hardworking, affectionate, sweet and concerned woman.

She is the Goddess of the Niger. The woodcarvings that represent her show a nine head goddess, allusive to the nine outlets of that river. Represents one of the top five elements of human beings existence.
      The atmosphere, the air that we breathe. She is one of the first Olofis assistants. When something happens or when somebody is born or dies she is the first one in getting to know it, communicating that immediately to the orishas by means of the wind, her messenger.

For this reasons Oyá assists the health of sick persons. Her days are Fridays and Sundays.

Fri, March 12, 2010 - 12:06 PM
    Ashe!! Meferefun Oya-Yansa!! I love Mama Oya. I myself haven't had my head officially marked but I've been told several times I'm her child and she comes up to stand and defend me in ALL my readings. I share many of her attributes and her energy is usually with me. She is very close to me,as is Ogun and recently Oshun.

In fact, I JUST woke up this morning after having a dream about Oshun and the first thing I saw when I turned on my computer was this article on a forum I visit often:

Osa Ogunda
    Gidigidi - Buffalo Woman

In one of the posts from Ofun Ogbe was the verse and story of Ode the hunter. I mentioned that the same story is found in another verse in which there is only one wife and it is Oya. I finally remembered which Odu had the Oya version. Osa Ogunda. Duh. Osa is Oya’s Odu and of course Ogunda is Ogun’s Odu. The hunter in this version is Ogun, who was married to Oya before she ran off with Sango. But that’s a story for another day. This is just one facet of Oya, the only “hot” female Orisa.

A-ja-tu-eruku efon
    To fight and stir up dust like Buffalo (Efon)
    a da fun ol’ode
    Cast Ifa for the-one-who-is-hunter (Ode)
    They said that Ode should make ebo so that he would find a wife to marry during that year. Ode made ebo of two roosters, two hens, maize beer and money. He also made food offerings (adimu) to his Ori. “We will find some yam cuttings (yam is used extensively in ritual, especially the cuttings), and we will pound yam loaf with them and offer them to our Ori.” Ode made the offering.
    One day Ode went to the farm. When he climbed to his lookout platform, he saw a Gidigidi (praise name for Buffalo). But when he took aim, the gidigidi turned into a beautiful red-bone woman. When she finished taking off her hide, Ode watched where she put it. He saw her hide it behind a tree; she did not see him. Ode put the hide in his bag and followed the beautiful red-hued woman. She went to the market. When they got to the market Ode approached her, greeted her, and told her he came to market seeking her. This gidigidi that had turned into a woman asked, “Is something wrong?” Ode answered that he wanted to marry her. Gidigidi said that she wasn’t going to marry anyone. After the third time Ode asked, gidigidi asked him if he had seen anything behind her (did he know something about her past). Ode replied that yes he had. She said, “What did you see behind me?” Ode told her that she should come with him, and he would show her what he had seen behind her.
    When they got outside the market, the hunter pulled out her hide and showed it to her. When she saw that he had her hide, she agreed to marry him. So she went back to the market and gathered her goods and went with him. But on the way, she told Ode that he must not speak a word of this to anyone. He agreed, and she became his wife and they lived together in his house.
    She began to bear children for Ode, but Ode’s first wife always teased Ode about her; where they had met, what village was she from, etc. He told her that she was the child of a woman that came to the farm to buy meat from him, but this did not satisfy the first wife. She asked if she came from this town or that town. Ode told her she was from a different town, but this did not satisfy the senior wife, and she began to ask around. During this time, Gidigidi woman bore her first and second child. The first wife went to the hunter’s elder brother and discussed the matter with him. Ode’s elder brother took him out and gave him lots of palm wine to drink. When he was good and drunk, the elder brother pried him about his second wife. Ode told him she was a Gidigidi, and the rest of the story. Ode’s elder brother then went and told Ode’s first wife everything that Ode had told him.
    The next day, Ode went to the farm. Two days later, while he was at the farm, his first wife took a log and struck it against the ground to break it (it is taboo to break wood in this way in a hunter’s house). The Gidigidi woman asked her if Ode had not warned her this was taboo. Then the senior wife answered with contempt, “Take yourself and go away, Wayi (an exclamation of great contempt)! You are both a human being and an animal! Eat and drink, your hide is in the storehouse.” When Gidigidi woman heard this, she said, “Ha!” and she kept quiet. She got ready and went to the storehouse and retrieved her hide from where the hunter had hidden it. She brought it out, and it was dried up, so she drew some water and put the hide in the water for awhile. When it was ready, she got into it, and she had horns on her head. Then she ran at the senior wife, butted her and killed her. When she had butted and killed the senior wife, she pulled off one of her horns, and started towards the farm. When Ode saw her coming, he knew that wood had been broken against the ground in his house. When she went to butt him, Ode said she must not butt him, he said:

Loaf of yam cuttings and pot of maize beer
    You cut weeds and cover me
    You heap honor upon me

(notice in this chant are mentioned the elements of Ode’s ebo)
    Gidigidi woman asked Ode how it was that the senior wife had known about her. He told her how his brother had gotten him very drunk on palm wine and pried the information out of him. She said, “It’s all right.” She said she wouldn’t kill him, but that he should go home and that whenever her children should want to perform their annual festival, he should make ebo with them to the horn that she had pulled off and left at home as a remembrance of her, and also when they might want to propitiate their Ori. From that time on, her children (omo Oya) have continued to sacrifice to the horn when they perform their annual festival. Those that sacrifice to water buffalo horns in this way are the ones that we call omo Efon [eh fun] (children of Buffalo) to this very day.
    ase

( This is why worshippers of Oya, the Gidigidi (Efon) woman have a water buffalo horn on their altars and make ebo to the horn. Also why Oya has the praise name Yansan.

Ifa says he sees the blessing of a woman for this person, but that ebo should be made lest the woman die when her children reach two in number; Lest she die and her senior wife die with her; Lest her husband bring illness home from the farm; and lest he die and it be said that his wife has taken him away to Orun. This person should be careful not to reveal secrets regarding something we want to accomplish, lest through this our secrets be made public.
    ase

destee.com/forums/showpost.php

Fri, March 12, 2010 - 12:11 PM
      another good article:

www.mamiwata.com/keys.html

also, this movie on Assata Shakur features alot of Oya, showing her dances which are SO beautiful and inspiring and fierce!! I recommend watching the whole documentary because Assata is a woman words can't describe. her story changed my life when I read her autobiography in 6th grade long ago....she has since been initiated into Orisha worship (can't say if it's lucumi or ifa), most likely with Oya as her head...

www.youtube.com/watch

the clip I linked to is the beginning of the film showing Oya's dance

Fri, March 12, 2010 - 3:16 PM
        I also found out that im shango and elias fav and that im well protected by them....that's is so beutiful I've never felt better in my liife.....

Sun, March 14, 2010 - 3:35 PM
          who is elias?

Sun, March 14, 2010 - 4:15 PM
            anthony i found this help to me and you this is the arab

St. Elias
            Feastday: July 20

St. Elias whose feast day is July 20th. Elias was an Arab who was educated in an Egyptian monastery. He was driven from Egypt by monophysite Bishop Timothy the Cat of Alexandria for his Catholic orthodoxy. He went to Palestine, where he stayed for a time at St Euthymius' laura, founded a monastery at Jericho, and was ordained. In 494 he was elected patriarch of Jerusalem. Although he had accepted Emperor Zeno's Henotikon of 482, which was condemned for its bias in favor of monophysitism, Elias remained loyal to Rome. In 512 the synod of Sidon supported Elias and his colleague, Bishop Flavian of Antioch, and the decrees of the Council of Chalcedon (451), though the synod had been summoned to denounce Chalcedon and to depose the two bishops, who strongly supported Chalcedon. Elias was exiled to Aila on the Red Sea in 513 when he refused to sign Emperor Anastasius I's formula supporting monophysitism and died there

Sun, March 14, 2010 - 9:20 PM
              maferefun Yansa!

Tue, March 16, 2010 - 9:36 AM
                Hey All,
                There are two ways to be marked. When an Oriate (Master of Ceremonies) Brings down your guardian angel to find out who it is through the caricoles or through the Babalows! Not a Santera or Santero!!! Please Know this and know the procedure! Orula has the last say!When you have a paraldo or when you go into Ocha, three Babalows are needed to mark your head. This will determine what ultimately walks with you. Not a santera or santero. If you get marked by an Oriate, if you are called to go into Ocha like myself, you are going to have to be read by the Babalows anyway so pls keep that in mind. So if you were read by a Santera, Im sorry to tell you, That is not the way and may not be accurate so pls know this! And dont not allow anyone to Change this way of life to big themselves up or to suit themselves! That angers Olofi and the Orishas! Trust me when I tell you! So mama, Pls be clear as to who read you and told you who your guardian angel is. Its always a good idea to take a notebook everytime you get a reading or a ceremony done!!! I cant stress this anymore! Write down the date, who the priest or priests are (names), from where, how many years they have Santo done and if possible what Ocha house they are from., Always keep a record of all your readings! Its like a spiritual medical history!!! Do not be easilty awed by priests!They can ssmell is out and if they are bad, they will use you! Educate yourselves People and take this way of Life very seriously! Its not a game! Learn who the Orishas are and every aspect of them. Do not rely on blogs and postings like these to learn! Take it into your own hands! Learn your Mojubas (prayers), learn aspects of the religion so tat no one can play you!!! I have been taken advantaged twice! And letme tell you, THAT WILL NEVER HAPPEN AGAIN!!!!!!! Love Peace and Light my people! BESOS!

Wed, March 17, 2010 - 3:52 PM
    Congratulations on your discovery. I'm daughter of Oya as well and like you, I didn't think it would be her either. After finding out that she rules my head I have dreams about her all the time...she often comes to me in dreams as a rainbow or a tornado. She blows the winds of change and hopefully she will bring good changes in your life. BTW, I usually honor her on Wednesday (Winds-day).

Hekua Oya!

Recent topics in "Santeria"

Topic Author Replies Last Post
Yemaya Okuti Pot T. 1 Today, 6:19 PM
my elekes ruperto 5 April 14, 2014
Traje de Coronacion Gianna 5 April 13, 2014
Defending our Faith Anna 4 April 11, 2014