Share/Save/Bookmark
Any comments on her..
posted by:
Bibi
Miami
Advertisement
  • Re: Nana Buruku

Fri, August 14, 2009 - 5:34 PM
    I love Nana Buruku. I feel a very special connection to Nana.

Did you know that there are mountains in Ghana named after Her? They are plateaus.

I love that Her name translates as Lady of Wickedness. The materials inside Her pot, and Her ceremonies, are pretty creepy, or so I hear..

~Morgan

Fri, August 14, 2009 - 7:12 PM
    *This is from Wiki...
    Nana Buluku (or Nanan-bouclou) is the Supreme Deity of the Fon from Dahomey.

Nana Buluku is an androgynous deity. Like the Judeo-Christian god, Nana Buluku created the Universe and all that exists in it. Twins were born to Nana Buluku: the moon god Mawu and the sun god Lisa.

Nana Buluku was also incorporated into the Yorùbá religion as Yemaja, the female thought of the male creator Ashe and the effective cause of all further creation.

*Worship in the NEW World

Worship of the deity spread to the rest of the world, especially through centuries of captured slaves who were purchased and sold all over the Americas. She is celebrated as Nanã in Brazilian Candomblé Ketu, where she is pictured as a very old woman, older than creation itself; as Nana Buruku, primordial swamp spirit in Orisha tradition.

Today the Yorùbá religion, and all its branches, is still practiced by tens of millions of people all over the world and Nana Buluku has an honored place in their faith.

*On a personal level from our Ile

Nana Buruku is found in swampy areas or anyplace that water is stagnate. She is also associated with death.
    Best known as the mother of Babaluaiye, Nana was once a critical deity to the Arara of Cuba. Often she is seen in the negative, her name even being translated as “ Nana the wicked”. Strict she may be but there is nothing wicked about enforcing a respect for the earth and the women who serve as the gateway to populate the planet. Just watch out for the poison!

Hope this helps.
    Oro

Fri, August 14, 2009 - 9:44 PM
      What offereings can be given to Nana Buruku.... and is there a relationship between her and the other dieties?

Sat, August 15, 2009 - 7:28 AM
        From my Ile...
        Nana Buruku likes sugar cane coated with unsalted butter, pork, guinnea hens, sassafras, and pine cones. This is a short list but will give you an idea.
        Nana Buruku is mistakenly seen as a female diety but as with most other Orisha there is also male attributes and paths also.

Mother of Babalu Ayé, Oshumaré and Iroke, wife of Obbatalá. Also close association with Ochun thru rain.

Oro

Sat, August 15, 2009 - 10:10 AM
          For the Arara, Nana Buruku is the wife of Guero/Hwedo (from the same root deity as Danbala Hwedo in Haiti -- cognate of Oshumare).

Some also see Her as the Grandmother of Babalu Aye (Nanu being His Mother, or a female road of Him). This is interesting to me, considering Her associated with Iyami Oshoronga/Aje, who are the terrifyingly powerful elder female beings in the Yoruba cosmology. And some lines, I believe mostly in Havana, view Her as a road of Obatala. John Mason asserts a connection between Nana and Oduduwa and Olokun.

I've heard that Nana's connection to Oshun is because Nana is the place where water flows from the dark earth in the mountain (thus becoming a river). In that aspect, She is Oshun's Mother (literally, where the river starts/comes from). Interesting to think about the rain connection! Thanks for that Oro!

~Morgan

Sat, August 15, 2009 - 1:26 PM
            I experienced the energy of Nana Buruku just the other day. I was out for a walk along my favorite river. I had just been to my special spot for my mother Ochun. There have been many ebos offered to Ochun at that spot and I was returning from spending some time with her.

I was following one of many paths I take to and from the spot and this particular path wound along the river working my way back upstream.
            Along the way I noticed a spot exactly where the water meets the earth. I bent over to examine the strange current and the excess flow of water that was actually squirting up in the air like an old fashioned water fountain.
            The stream of water was as thick as your thumb and was noticeably clearer and cleaner looking than the river water it flowed into.

I was staring directly into Nana's eyes and I did what any curious Chango would do, I stuck my finger in the hole. It was then I found out the exact pressure this little water spout was under. Nana gave me a welcome squirt of water that was like someone throwing a quart jar of water on me. It was refreshing on a hot day so I took it as a gift.

I hurried home to find out more about Nana and find out what I could take for an Ebo upon my return. That was when I learned how to make the sugar cane and some other personal things.

If you find yourself close to a spring fed river be sure to pay close attention to the area where the water meets the earth. There you will find Nana Buruku and all her/his mysteries.

Oro

Sun, August 16, 2009 - 7:15 AM
              i def feel an extreme connection towards her...

Nana loves her Crown Royal?, either over ice, straight or a shot in a cup of coffee. She likes shrimp and I’ve made her coconut shrimp several times. When in doubt, rum and tobacco are almost never wrong. She loves her role as grandmother, so anything that says “Best Grandma” would work or more appropriately “Nana” would be better. Because her issue with Ogoun, please do not feed them together and I would never serve her offerings on metal or pewter dishes/cups.

Nana Buruku is the grandmother of the Orishas. She is also a wisewomen and powerful witch. She has extraordinary healing powers and is an accomplished herbalist. She is seen as a strong, large, dark-skinned old woman. She has a commanding presence. Many times, even the uninitiated can feel her walk into a room. She loves children and her role of grandmother but has little tolerance for men. Because of this, she normally only has priestesses, no priests (unless a man was a woman trapped in a man’s body or at a minimum, really in touch with his feminine side). She is very spiritual and understands the sacredness of all life. She deals with big issues: life, death, karma, etc. Generally speaking, I know a problem is very serious when Nana shows up. This is not the Orisha you go to for simple relationship issues.

She embodies the archetype of the wisewoman. She is whom you go to for healing, to get pregnant or to end an unwanted pregnancy. In cases of rape, you can go to her for healing and justice. She is especially good with healing with spiritual energy such as Reiki and Chakra work. She lives in the swamp, near the ocean. For the most part, she likes being alone or with her grandchildren. She is much better known in Candomble and Voudou than Santeria. Because of her strong connection with nature, environmental issues are also important to her. She hates the way we are destroying our planet. Nana can be cold, distant and judgmental. Once she makes up her mind about something, she will not budge. Her dislike of men is so strong that other than rape, I can’t imagine a reason why a man would go to her for help. Nana and Ogoun do not get along. One story says that Ogoun tried to invade Nana’s swamp but was unsuccessful since metal will rust in a swamp. My personal belief is that at his worst, Ogoun can become violent and abusive, especially towards his spouse. This is one issue that Nana especially has no gray area. She absolutely will not tolerate spousal abuse (of either sex) or child abuse.

Sun, August 16, 2009 - 7:17 AM
                Nana is the grandmother of all orishas

Sun, August 16, 2009 - 2:16 PM
                  <<end an unwanted pregnancy>>
                  Ummm... isn't that against the laws of the Orisha culture?
                  • This is the maximum depth. Additional responses will not be threaded.

Re: Nana Buruku

Sun, August 16, 2009 - 3:07 PM
                    yes it sure is... but i think in this case it meant in situations with rape and getting pregnant from the ordeal. shes very passionate about those topics rape, abusive men, ect ect...

Sun, August 16, 2009 - 3:09 PM
                      this could be another reason y she helps with unwanted pregnancy [[She is much better known in Candomble and Voudou than Santeria]] when shes used in these religions.

Wed, August 19, 2009 - 1:28 PM
                    I've been told that there are no references in any Lukumi Odu that specifically mention abortion, either pro or con. Abortion certainly makes little sense in Yoruba culture, with its major focus on the blessing of childbirth. That doesn't necessarily mean that the Orishas are specifically anti-abortion, however -- I think they would just be confused that anyone would want to end a pregnancy.

Also, Nana Buruku is quite different from the other Orishas in many ways. Her name includes Buruku, which means something along the lines of sociopathic wickedness in Yoruba -- a concept that the Yoruba find to be the polar opposite of all that is desired (ie, Ori Pele vs. Ori Buruku). Her dance is three steps to the right and three steps to the left, which is the opposite of the usual forward-and-back of most Orisha's dances. She represents many of those things that are antithetical to social cohesion. Nana is primordial.

Of course, please take this all with a grain of salt -- I'm a month away from making Osha! So I'm certainly no expert!

~Morgan

Wed, August 19, 2009 - 1:20 PM
                I've heard a few explanations about Nana's dislike of Ogun.

Ilari Oba says that Ogun offended Nana in a pataki in which the Orishas named Ogun their king, and during the celebration of this, Ogun became drunk and started telling people to throw themselves for Him. Nana, being perhaps the oldest being in the Universe, refused to throw Herself for Ogun, offended by His drunken demands.

My Godfather has told me that the real reason why Nana does not take metal is that Nana is older than the Earth (the planet), older than the Universe, and thus older than metal. If we take that as truth, then it seems like the story of Ogun offending or raping Nana Buruku is actually a borrowing of the theme of why Yembo doesn't get along with Ogun (He raped Her, His Mother).

~Morgan

Thu, August 20, 2009 - 5:21 AM
                  I am in the same process.:) I have another topic id like to hit. yest while meeting with my madrina's bro wich is also santero i stumbled apon a pink throne very beautiful but id never seen it before so i asked and he said if i remeber clearly the name was alba or abba didnt hear him to well... he said that alba and ochun had great friendship at one point but that alba had an afair with ochun husband so ochun cut off the orishas ears and made it in a soup which she then fed her husband.. does any one no more or the correct name of this deity??

Thu, August 20, 2009 - 12:42 PM
                    This is a great story although i had it mixed up but here it is the story of the orish OBBA

St. Catherine of Sienna is sometimes the Catholic Saint that represents Obba. The reason for this is not clear, but perhaps, as in the image above, it is due to the fact that head is clearly wrapped. This might relate to the fact that Obba had to wrap her head that fateful day when she cut off her ear to make a soup for Chango that she thought might please him. The story goes that Obba was very jealous of Ochun and her ability to attact Chango and so one day she asked Ochun what was her secret for so successfully attracting Chango. Ochun told her that the way to a man's heart is through his stomach. When Ochun was telling this story to Obba, she had her head wrapped with cloth. Ochun told Obba that she had made a wonderful soup for Chango with her ear as the principal ingredient and that this soup had bewitched Chango so that he could think of no one else. Obba, being an African women knew that, of course, there were ways to enchant men using female body parts, but she had never heard of this one. Nevertheless, she decided to try this with Chango, the next time he was at home and dutifully cut off one of her ears to make the special soup for her. When Chango returned home from one of his wars, he asked Obba why she had her head covered and Obba made excuses. When Chango sat down to eat and saw the ear floating in his soup, he was horrified and ripped off Obba's head covering and saw what she had done. At this point Chango was even more furious and told Obba that he could never be with such a disfigured women and left. Obba went nuts and ran off into the woods screaming, outraged at the trickery of Ochun and ashamed and humiliated by her disfiguration. Apparently Obba was a very beautiful woman before removing her ear. Continue on to our other pages to learn more about Obba.

Fri, August 21, 2009 - 1:05 PM
                      Although Oshun was involved, at least according to my Ile, it was Oya who told Oba to cut off Her ear. This is why Oya and Oba are bitter enemies, while Oshun and Oba are friends (and Oba's children are often made Oba con oro para Oshun -- though this isn't a must! Oba's children can be made directly, if the Oriate knows how!).

~Morgan

Sun, August 23, 2009 - 12:50 PM
                        i come from fela mendezs lineage the piranas and spent a lot of time with her while she was alive. of all the things she taught me, the pataki between obba and oya of the whole ear thing is true, this is where the brujeria towards men to tie them in a realtionship was born. obba holds the key to ochuns treasure chest. its true that the oriate needs to know how to initiate the child of obba and any orisha, however there are more logical explanations as to what is needed to crown an orisha direct, which eventually you will learn when you become a priestess.

Sun, October 11, 2009 - 6:35 PM
                    Oba/Obba, Shango'd other wife who cut off her ear after Oshun tricked her. Archetype of the devoted wife, not the seductress Oshun or warrior Oya...Shango had quite a balanced, diverse taste in women :)
                • Unsu...

Fri, November 20, 2009 - 4:18 PM
                  Yes, this is very true.

Nana Buruku / Nana Sague as she is known among the Arara and in some of our songs, is the mud and loam of the ground. She is older than all of the orishas. She is a truly distant fragment of the past. She is the orisha of what WAS before the universe was created.

Amongst the Arara and Voodoo practitioners, she is revered as the oldest deity... the mother of God [Mawu-Lisa].

Mon, September 7, 2009 - 7:37 PM
    She is the mother of San Lazaro, Babalu-aye's. A great deal of people in the santo religion does not know that.......

Mon, September 7, 2009 - 9:29 PM
      Yeah I was taught that Nana Buruku is Babalu-Aye's mother.

Thu, September 10, 2009 - 8:18 AM
        nana buruku is getting more and more popular in santeria tho..

Thu, September 10, 2009 - 9:17 AM
          Yes and a great deal of people who have Babalu-Aye do not know that if you place her picture near him it empowers him another notch.

Meaning if you place his picture on your front door along with Nana's then he will keep bring luck N2 your home for acknowledging that.

Thu, September 10, 2009 - 9:23 AM
            Excuse me, I mean to say an abundance of luck will be brought into your home and with toasted corn hanging from your entrance door he keeps away illnesses, and you'll never experience lack of food nor drink.

Recent topics in "Santeria"

Topic Author Replies Last Post
Paths of Oshun? maurizio 18 Today, 2:46 PM
September 2014 Ifa and Orisha Calendar Fagbemijo Am... 0 Yesterday, 8:58 AM
Caretaking the Warriors FourgeN. 7 August 31, 2014
algodon pure cotton for obatala Yansa787 1 August 31, 2014