Advertisement

Help-Omo Olokun

topic posted Thu, June 25, 2009 - 8:31 AM by  Omo Olokun
Share/Save/Bookmark
Hi everyone I am new to this site....
Anyway... I am kind of new to this religion, it interests me a lot, I have my guerreros, and my eggun teja, my padrino told me I was hija de Olokun, and my mother is yemaya, so like basically I guess Olokun is the owner of my head and Yemaya is my mother. Ochun, Oya,Shango and Oggun protect me for free. I am Baba Eyiogbe........
Can anyone give me their personal insight as to how being his daughter benefits me because the fact that he is so rare to take someones head and he is one of the most mysterious powerful ones??
I want to learn more about Olokun and be being a head of Olokun and Baba eyiogbe.... any information would be greatly appreciated like you have no idea because I know you guys know more than me at this point so I would love to learn....
Any further questions I will try to answer
Thank you
posted by:
Omo Olokun
Florida
Advertisement
  • Re: Help-Omo Olokun

Fri, June 26, 2009 - 2:26 PM
    Ashe! Maferefum Olokun!
    First off, sweets, you really need to speak with your god-rents about that. The mysteries of Olokun are vast, and, some say older than the greater Orisha presence on Ile Aye. Second, how did your padrino define your head? Is he a babalawo? How is it you are defined as Baba ejiogbe? Do you have ocha made? How was your mother defined as Yemaya? (Don't get me wrong, if your crown is Olokun, it will be yemeya you actually crown....... The secret is long lost on how to crown Olokun, at least in the new world. If it exists, I would look for it among the Yorubas of Benin- hopefully you speak french or yoruba- as they are still primarily followers of their tribal beliefs as opposed to the highly Christianized Nigerian Yorubas....) Thirdly, do you have Olokun received by Santero? I received tremendous insights as to the nature and spiritual function of Olokun through meditation with him...... Good luck! What a tremendous angel de guardia!

Fri, June 26, 2009 - 11:17 PM
      Thank you Jason for you answer I really appreciate it..
      Yes they say olokun is very rare and they also told me that he rarely takes someones head as to he is "very picky"...
      And yes my padrino is a babalawo.
      And he defined my signo as Baba Eyiogbe because that's what came out in my Ikofa...
      He told me that I can not crown Olokun because he is too strong that I would have to receive Olokun and crown Yemaya... he said that I have to get Olokun received from a babalawo it has to be an Olokun de babalawo not from a santero/a because he said that the one that a santero/a gives is not the real olokun that it is one of his daughters??
      And he also said that olokun is a man and he was/is married to yemaya?? He also said that olokun one of the mostexpensive santos to receive also because he is so rare... I feel absolutely blessed and honored that I am a child of Olokun/yemaya...
      I know one day Olokun will give me his blessing money wise and time wise so I can receive him I pray to him everyday ti give me his ultimate blessing which is receiving him I want nothing more in this world than to receive mi angel de la guardia.....
      I have guerreros and my eggun teja... I want my father and mother crowned/received...I know when the time is right it will happen...
      Thank you so much for your insight...
      Any one else your insight would be greatly appreciated!!

Mon, August 24, 2009 - 1:04 AM
    Blessings Tiffany,
    I am crowned Yemaya. I Godfather is also crowned Yemaya but Olokun is who claimed his head. As a child of Yemaya or Olokun one must receive Olokun when you receive Regla de Ocha. When your Godfather states that the Olokun is given by an Santero is not real that is not true. The Olokun/Olocun received by a Santero is the female version and the Olokun/Olocun given by a Babalawo is the male version. The other orishas you receive are a added protection but they also provide health, wealth, guidance, harmony, and stability. The other orishas also manifest through you to guide you in your life's journey and balance things out in your life.

Mon, August 24, 2009 - 5:28 AM

blessings tiff-
      from what i no mama is that ur padrino cannot tell you who your mother or father is that takes a ceremony and its a babalawo.. . ur querreros and ur mano de orumla is given also by a babalawo.. anyone correect me if im wrong.. im in that process now the first thing im doing is getting my elekes from my madrina then going to see a babalawo.. to get my angel de la quardia and my querreros and of course anything else that comes in that three day process..

-bibi

Mon, August 24, 2009 - 7:21 AM
        Alaafia Bibi,
        You are correct to a certain extent. The "process" as you call it, is a very individual thing. Everyone walks their own path. It is true that Elekes and Warriors are the first 2 steps for most, but keep in mind the order these and other ceremonies take place in is determined by the individual Ori.
        Hope this helps
        Blessings
        Oro

Mon, August 24, 2009 - 8:52 AM
          Blessings oro

Thank you .. lol process does sound like an understatment for what im doing lol. but you no what i mean. and yes you are right maybe my order of these ceremonies might be different for others.

-bibi :)

Mon, September 7, 2009 - 7:47 PM
    Well that is weird because Olokun is one of the 21 paths of Yemaya. Now everyone in the santo religion receives Olokun in a blue terrain with it's secrets. IHe meant to say that you a daughter of Yemaya in camino of Olokun.

For example I am a daughter of Yemaya camino of Malawo.

Yemaya is very easy to keep happy if you study and pray everyday to her she outstanding....................................

Mon, September 7, 2009 - 8:35 PM
      im sorry but olokun is its own entity its not a path of yemaya there are people who are children of olokun most of them get crowned oro so it is very much so possible for her to be a child of olokun (since in many places olokun is considered male) and have yemaya as her mother

Mon, September 7, 2009 - 9:26 PM
        Yeah Omo... thats what I always thought.... but I came to understand that Olokun manifests "itself" differently in houses... in one Ile Olokun can be male and in another Ile Olokun is female.

Tue, September 8, 2009 - 4:48 AM
          i might be wrong but if im not mistaken it also depends on who is given out olokun,
          like i think olokun from santero is male
          and the olokun from babalawo is female
          or vica versa i dont remember exactly

Tue, September 8, 2009 - 8:23 AM
            Ooooh... now that you said it... cuz my "godfather" is a Babalawo and he always refers to Olokun as she/her/mother etc. Then I went to two different houses that were run by Santeros and they both adamantly stated that Olokun is male.

Thu, September 10, 2009 - 8:22 AM
              my mothers best friend is santero he refers to olokun as male!!! he told me olokun is yemaya at the depth of the ocean!! ??

Thu, September 10, 2009 - 8:24 AM
                +READ :)+
                Some Afro-Cuban lineages worship Olokun in tandem with Yemoja (Yemaya/Yemanja). In the past Lukumi and Santeria worshippers considered these two Orisa to be manifestations of one other, although we know now that they are distinct, but kindred energies that were paired together during the Maafa as a way of preserving both Orisa traditions. In nature, the bottom of the ocean represents Olokun. Yemoja is usually considered to the visible sections of the ocean in the West. However in Africa, Yemoja is the divinity of Ogun River in Nigeria and Olokun is considered the mother of all bodies of water and as such is considered owner chiefly of the ocean, but all rivers. In Bendel State Olokun is the patron Orisa of Ethiope River.

Thu, October 1, 2009 - 7:45 PM
    olokum is a path of yemaya...the diffrence here is...babalows give it in the form of a man and a santero gives it in the form of a women..theres a big secrete behind that....my mother is a child of olokum but had to be crowned with yemaya ikute...why..cuz olokum cant be crowned!..its like many house have children of Aganyu..they cant crown them directly...granted..there are some out there that do...but most house will crown a child of aganyu with chango...
    but as for Olokum...thats a beautiful saint!...

Fri, October 2, 2009 - 9:31 PM
      CC I respectfully disagree. Olokun is not a path of Yemeya. They both live in the ocean but they are 2 seperate Orisha. Yemeya IS the ocean and Olokun is the bottom of the ocean and holds all of the secrets found there.
      • Unsu...

Re: Help-Omo Olokun

Sun, October 11, 2009 - 10:18 PM
        Oro, Don't I know you from somwhere? You the same person who got struck by lighting a few years back right?

Mon, October 12, 2009 - 10:45 AM
          Yes that would be me... it was 2001 when that happened.
          • Unsu...

Mon, October 12, 2009 - 2:10 PM
            Yeah I thought that was you because I remember you discussing the lightning incident with me on AOL back in 2003 in the Hoodoo chat room, Good to see you on tribe! Still in the mountains ?

Mon, October 12, 2009 - 8:19 PM
              yes i will always be in the mountains.... small world online... eh....

Mon, October 12, 2009 - 10:41 PM
                Must be!
                Saludos Omo!
                • Unsu...

Wed, October 14, 2009 - 5:10 AM
                  LMAO, Well that depends who's judging
                  • This is the maximum depth. Additional responses will not be threaded.

Thu, October 15, 2009 - 1:34 PM
                    Oro..i respect that u disagree...;-) ok..can i ask u for ur words of wisdom on this question...why is it..when a child of olokum is crowned..why is it that they crown them with yemaya?...i know the story on why it cant be done olokum..but if its 2 diffrent paths..or better stated ..as the words u used..entity..or diffrent enegys...why they choose yemaya?.....? cuz they both are from the ocean?;-).if they are so diffrent...im trying to word this right(giggle-giggle...smile..if they are diffrent orisha's.....woundnt that be..like changing someones head(crown?)cambio cabezsa?.please share ..

Mon, October 19, 2009 - 7:49 AM
                      the thing is the do oro pa like in houses that dont crown agayu directly they do it through chango or ochun, like asojano they do it through obatala or yemaya.

Tue, October 20, 2009 - 2:24 PM
                      Ok you ask for it... i love it when someone ask me to share from my study material.

Who is Olokun?

It is the Orisha of the Ocean, representing the seas at their most frightening state, as it is the secrets of the deepest depths. Olokun is androgynous, humanoid and fish at the same time. Olokun is of a violent,
                      mysterious and compulsive nature.

The name is of the Yoruban Olókún (Oló : lord-Okún : Ocean), but in reality Olokun is owner of all waters, as the daughters Olona and Olosa (water nymphs) represent springs, ponds, rapids, lagoons, rivers,
                      streams, marine extensions and water from rain. Olokun represents the riches of the seas and health. Spouse to Elusú (sand), Ajé Salugá (money and marine shells), Olosá (lagoons), Ikokó (aquatic plant life), Osara (subterranean lakes), Boromú (marine currents), Borosia (water spouts), Yembo (calmed seas) and Agganá (rain).

It is said that Obatalá chained Olokun to the bottom of the ocean when Olokun attempted to kill humanity with the great flood. Olokun is Father/Mother to Yemayá. It is always represented with a mask, as it is said that to look upon its face is to die immediately. It was originally worshipped in cities including Lagos, Benin and Ilé Ifé. It arrived in Cuba towards the ends of the XIX century with the Iyalosha Oni Yemayá, Ferminita Gomez, who introduces its cult as it is known today.

In the Rule of Ocha, it is one of the principle deities, as it is associated with material wealth, health and stability. Its cult is also relevant in Ifá. It is never crowned. Its children crown Yemayá with Gold for Olokun. When one receives such a mysterious deity, the ceremony includes cleansing with an awan (type of offering consisting of diverse foods) placed in various plates. This is emptied into a basket holding the
                      carcases of the sacrificed animals in honor of this Orisha, to then be taken to the sea.

With Olokun are two other spirits: Somú Gagá and Akaró who represent life and death respectively. The spirits are represented by a lead doll that has a serpent in one hand (Akaró) and a mask (Somú Gagá) in the other.

Leyend of Olokun

A leyend states that Olokun had eleven daughters: Osupa (the moon), five Olosa, four Olona and the preferred on, Agana Erí. The Olosa and Olona where the most beautiful and were mermaids. They could change into fish-women or just women, while their step sister Agana Eri, daughter of Olokun and Yewá was deformed. She was missing a breast and one of her hips was higher the other. Because of this,
                      she began to feel envy of her pretty sisters and allied herself with some fishermen that for a long time had wanted to capture the mermaids. The mermaids had a charm that Orunmila had gifted them so they could
                      shapeshift whenever they wanted.

On a day of a full moon, Agana Eri told the fishermen where to find them. She told them the right time and told them of the charms around their necks that they had to take, so that they could not change back to fish ever more.

And so it was. With an immense net, the fishermen trapped the sisters. Olokun, upon learning of this created a quake that produced a great wave and was able to rescue his children and drowned their captors.

Since they lost their charms, forever would they remain fish. Olokum learned from Orunmila of what Agana Eri had done. She was summoned and Olokum pronounced: "Because of your treachery, you shall remain tied to the ocean floor and will only surface as the ocean foam, a condition given you by Orunmila, when Oggun and Osanyin whilst fighting over you, left you deformed. You are my preferred child and I do not abandon you, but because of your hypocrisy, you will always hold in one hand a mask, and because of your ill will in the other you will hold a serpent."

(These are symbols found in the center of the iworo foundation). Whosoever possesses the foundation of Agana Eri or Yemaya Olokun will know what this story means.

The Olokun of the Babalawo has a vase charged and covered with marine shells to represent the bottom of the sea. It speaks through Orunmila with the Ikines.

It is good to recall that there should be no conflict in reference to the validity between the Olokun of Babalawos and the Olokun of Iworo. In both foundations, Olokun's power is recognized. It is written in Ifá of the treachery of Agana Erí and the power an Olosha has to confer this. Therefore, the Awo recognizes the secret of Iworo and gives it its due importance.

Olokun of Awo: when it is fed major animals (4 legged), it is fed veal, cow, pig, goat, etc.

Olokun of Iworo: can be fed the same, so long as there is an Awo of Orunmila present.

In Ifá, Olokun worship is done with Oduduwa with its land-sea conjunction. This hasn't been practiced for a long time in the diaspora. The last ceremonies were conducted by the Oluwo Tata Gaitán, Ogunda Fun circa 1930's. (Personal note: it is said that this was actually done recently in Venezuela). During these rites, Olokun was fed a bull and dancing was conducted around the vases with the nine masks. It is possible that fear has prevented the continuity of this tradition...

An Awo always died afterwards...

In Brazil and some areas of Nigeria, Agana Erí is known as OTIN and is worshipped just as the Yemayá Olokun of the cuban Iworos. The Awo Olokun does not contain water, whereas the Iworo does. The Awo
                      Olokun doesn't have it because between the mass of water of the oceans and the center of the earth, where lava burns, there is a space where water vapors sustain in air the weight of all land and sea. This space can be considered an empty space where solid mass doesn't exist and it is there where Olokun lives. Therefore, its secret in Ifá should not carry water.

Yemayá Olokun does carry water, given that its center is Agana Erí. Agana Erí, in its natural state represents the nitrates which are product of the bacterial decomposition of marine animal and vegetable
                      proteins which transfer ammonium ions to complete hydrogen's biological cycle, a critical process for all aquatic life. The nitrates are consumed by marine vegetation or are converted in part in hydrogen that
                      rises from the depths and is transferred to the surface in beaches where the foam (Agana Erí) coats air bubbles which pass onto land through the sand.

Sand serves as a marine filter, just as the reefs and this is how nature purifies and recycles the waters.
                      So why does it eat on land and then go to the sea?

Olokun had two great warriors that fought by his side daily. Every time they won a battle, his servants were called for a claim in the spoils. If the first of these, which was full of vanity and evil, asked for
                      something, the other, who was meek and humble, was given twice the prize.

After the first noticed this, being proud and envious, one day after a victory requested that Olokun take out one of his eyes. Olokun understood that this would mean the other warrior would have to be left
                      blind, so he decreed the following: "as of today, I will take one of your eyes, but you shall live on land, where there will be wars, misery and suffering. Your brother will live in the depths of the oceans with
                      me and although he won't be able to see on land because of you, in the ocean he shall see that which you will not. He will have peace and wealth and in order for me to approve what you do on land, you will have
                      to bring proof of your action before him and only that way will you receive Ache (this is the secret of the two vases, large and small, and of the two shell hands, one open one closed, that is found in the Iworo
                      Olokum).

Ferminita Gómez and the Olokum tradition

Ferminita was a Dahomeyan princess. She was brought to Cuba towards the end of the 19th century to work as a slave in the sugar plantations.
                      She was to be initiated daughter of Oshun, but during the rite, Yemaya claimed her head and so she was consecrated to the mother of the world, taking the name Oshabi.

Legend says that she possessed supernatural powers, including the ability to be invisible to the eyes of others. It is said that she received the secret of Olokun from Obatero (priestess of Ebagdo origins). Up until that point, Olokun was exclusively received by Babalawos.

She exercised the office of Oriate. She shaved heads and initiated many to the Orisha. She also was the first to give Orishaoko and Olokun in America.

Her Olokun was locked in a room she guarded carefully. She covered it with seven layers of fabric of varying blue hues. It was surrounded by sand, dried seahorses, starfish, reef, sea vegetation and fishing
                      instruments.

In 1944, she began the tradition of using pig to feed the deity from a boat, a tradition still conserved by her descendants, members of the current branch of La Pimienta (the Pepper).

There's an anecdote that tells the story of her creating a huge Olokum for a politician of that time. The vase measured more than a meter and a half in height. Many animals were sacrificed to it, amongst them cat and pig, even at the objection of some Babalawos. It is said that this politician enjoyed many years of great power, good health and material means.

Ferminita's ache still continues to last through her descendants. Her legacy pertaining to methodology and religious initiation lives on and constitutes an obligatory reference for both Iworos and Babalawos. So powerful was her Olokun, that she possessed incredible health. So much that she consecrated her last godchild at the age of 86. She passed away with more than 100 years of life and in honoring her, many came and from many different positions in society.

Prayer of Olokum

Yemajá ataramawá sayabí Olokum
                      Babalodde Ofúnde Okokun
                      Sayabí Olokmn Yemajá Awoyómayé Lewó
                      Oní balé Yaloddé ataramawá
                      Oké nì Okún Akuayé
                      Sabia pabía Olokum achá Okotó
                      Orí Aiyé offé Ikú"

I hope you find this helpful.
                      In service to Orula
                      Maferefun Egun
                      Oro

Tue, October 20, 2009 - 2:41 PM
                        Awesome Oro, truly awesome material.

Tue, October 20, 2009 - 3:32 PM
                          Thank you... i had a little bit of inside info on this one because Oluwo Tata Gaitán, Ogunda Fun is my direct lineage and his material is passed down in our Ile.

In the spirit of education...

Tue, October 20, 2009 - 6:54 PM
                            I truly hope you would enlighten us more often with such informative knowledge, I truly enjoyed it....Thank you

Tue, October 20, 2009 - 7:45 PM
                              Y W and yes I am here to share and learn as I hope everyone is. Egun says if we stop learning we start dying. I prefer to live.
                              ;-)

Wed, October 21, 2009 - 9:47 AM
                                WOW! Oro.....i dont even have words...u got me SMILING!!!!..;-)..thank u for shareing that...u stated somethings things i didnt even know...thank u for the lesson..(wink)...;-)

Wed, October 21, 2009 - 9:14 PM
                                  Im really glad you was able to take something new from this. That is my favorite part of education... coming away with something new and it happens for teacher as well as student.
                                  All of your responses tell me it is time to move forward with something from my Ifa Ita so I would like to thank all of you also.
                                  In the Spirit of learning...
                                  Oro

Sat, January 22, 2011 - 1:57 AM
                        Olokun Origin Not Yoruba but Benin.-..

The Olokun - The Sea Goddess

Edo State is located in the South Western region of Nigeria. It is populated by the Bini, the Afemai , the Ishan, Etsako, Sabongida-Ora, Irrua and Esan. Its neigbours in the West are the Yoruba of Ondo State, to the North, the Akoko Edo, the Sobe and in the South, the Urhobo people of Delta State.

Occupation

The Edo people are predominantly farmers, while a few are fishermen and hunters.

Origin

The Bini people refer to their land as "the centre of creation" which in Bini dialect is Ore ise Agbon meaning the land that extends to the invisible world.

Myths

The Bini have a myth which says that the world was water and only a tree known as the "Ikhimwin tree" stands on that water. On that tree lives a bird known as the "Owonwon" (a double casque hornbill bird). This long-beaked bird features in a lot of African masks. It is referred to as the bird of creation. The myth went further to say that when Osanobua who is God Almighty wanted to create the world, he sent his three children as intermediaries. They are Obiemven, Olokun and Oguiwu the youngest. As they left for the earth, Owonwon seriosuly instructed them to take along a snail shell. They peddled and got to a spot where Obiemven, the eldest daughter, turned the shell upside and out came an endless stream of sand which turned the water into land. The chameleon tested the firmness of the land and so they settled there. Osanobua later shared the earth among them. To Obiemven, he gave the control of childbirth and agricultural fertility. To Olokun, he gave the control of riches and wealth and Ogiuwu became the dispenser of death.

Another version by Paula Ben Amos states that Osanobua had three sons who were Olokun, Ogiuwu and the last who became the kind of Benin and owner of the land that even extends to Europe. Yet another version says that Osanobua created kings to rule over the earth and that before they descended, he gave them each a gift for the use of humans ranging from wealth, magic and crafts but that the Oba of Benin chose a snail shell full of sand. He poured the sand at a point and immediately there was dry land. However, the kings that chose wealth and magic had to beg the Oba of Benin because even though they had their gifts there was no land for them to settle. Although these are all myths, they all gave the Oba an air of importance. There was a very high regard for the kingship. His word is law. In Benin the only person higher than the king is Osanobua.

Olokun

Now of all the three children, Olokun is the most revered. She has been worshipped for centuries. She is still referred to as the mother of all human beings and living things - the Earth goddess. Ogiuwu, the dispenser of death, suffered a similar fate. Before1897, an Ogiuwu, Shrine stood next to the shrine of war in the old palace grounds. Human sacrifices were made there to protect soldiers that are marching into battle and another one on their successful return. However, no image of Ogiuwu existed because no artist dared draw the face of death instead Ofoe (death's messenger) is depicted. Ofoe's head sprouts limbs which relentlessly pursue its victims to death. Ofoe is said to be very ruthless and merciless. He is also called A-guan-a-i-hon which in English means - "we plead, he does not listen."

The Worship Of Olokun

The worship of Olokun deity in Benin may be because every Bini person believes that the land of the living is surrounded by limitless water into which all rivers flow and that human souls must cross these waters "Olokun realms" either to be born or depart on their way to the spirit world after death. They also believe that a man is partly responsible for his fate. Before a man is born, he stands before Osanobua and tells him what he intends to do on earth and how long he intends to stay. When he has developed his plan before Osanobua, he may receive blessings either from Olokun or Esu (satan). If Olokun blesses him, he will be lucky, rich and successful. If on the other hand, Esu blesses him, he will be wicked and probably become a criminal. This is the belief of the majority of the Bini people.

Meaning Of Olokun

Olokun is a Bini word. Okun is a Bini word for ocean while Olo is a Bini word for owner so Olokun simply means the owner of the ocean. Today, Olokun is a focus of intense worship in every household in Benin, there is a shrine of the Olokun for every woman and perhaps another shrine for the household head.

Shrine Objects & Symbolism

Shrine objects found in a typical Olokun shrine depend on the wealth of each individual. However, there are some things that are always found in each shrine. They are the clay waterpots (Uru), miniature canoes with paddles, miniature brass ladders, Orhue (river side white chalk or kaolin), cowrie shells, mirror etc. If one is wealthy, a shrine can be enlarged to fill a chamber with arrays of mud figures of Olokun and his many wives. Cowrie shells are said to be used to evoke Olokun. The monetary use of cowries with their deep symbolism of prosperity lasted well into the 20th century. Canoes with paddles means the worshipper's desire for social mobility. Orhue (river side white chalk or kaolin) symbolises purity and happiness. In Benin someone who receives goodnews is said to have "a stomach full of chalk". Miniature brass ladders are a symbol of spiritual ascension and aspiration in Olokun worship. Mirrors which represent water is used for trance procession and a vehicle to the spirit world. There is also the Aza bell used by the priestess to summon the spirits.

SACRIFIES

In the shrine in Usenigbe, one can still find mud figures of messengers and other humans sacrificed at Olokun's altar. Today, this stands as a reminder of some of the gruesome acts committed by the people in the name of religion. Nowadays human sacrifice is no longer practised. Today's sacrifices consist of animals i.e. white cock to Osanobua, white hen to Olokun through Obiemven. Olokun also accepts white goat without blemish, coconuts, broken pieces of white China plates.

BURIAL

The burial rites of an influential member is a grand affair and one very notable object found in such funeral is the "Okun box". It is a large box decorated with mirrors and white cloth used symbolically in passage rites and said to contain the deceased wealth and status. These merely represent the Olokun.

INITIATION

Every four days (traditional edo week), the shrine's members gather to evoke Olokun. They come with their requests to receive Olokun's blessings. They believe that Olokun has power to control human fertility, give children to barren women and give them prosperity as well as elevate them socially. Olokun's shrine is mostly filled with women and children. Olokun devotees usually dance to the continuous beating of "Ukuse" known in Yoruba as "shekere" which is a calabash covered with stringed beads. While dancing some devotees may be transported, via the mirror, into the spirit world, where they fall into trance and if given a message by the Olokun delivers the message to other devotees. There is also a yearly state festival, which surprisingly, does not hold in Benin but in a town called Usonigbe 60 miles away from Benin. This is said to be Olokun's original shrine. It is a very large space that can contain many worshippers. The space contains 50 life size mud figures. All of them are heavy and plump depicting prosperity of Olokun.

The initiation into Olokun has no age limit as children as young as four years can be initiated. Initiation is done from mother to daughter.

Similarities Of Olokun And Mamiwata

Most people confuse the Olokun with the Mami Wata. They are two different deities but with almost the same functions. Mami Wata is mostly worshipped in riverine areas like the Niger Delta. Both Olokun and Mami Wata use mirrors which represent water and is used as a vehicle into the other world. White Kaolin is used for the Olokun while Talcum powder is used for the Mami Wata. Mami Wata is a very recent development so most of the things used are modern. The Olokun devotees dance to the continuous beating of "Ukuse" (calabash covered with stinged beads) while the Mami Wata devotees dance to the percusive music of the Mami Wata priestess as she plays the locally made harmonica and guitar.

The Olokun has numerous priase names but there is one that is used for her and at the same time used for Mami Wata - the name is "Oba ne Ame" (god of the sea). There is a statue said to depict the goddess in a fountain near the Oba's palace. It is a statue of a woman wearing a coral beaded crown and other kingship apparel. Some say it is the statue of MamiWata yet others say it is a statue of the Olokun.

Miss Iruobe is on the staff of National Commission for Museums and Monuments, Onikan, Lagos

www.greatbenin.org/olokun.html

read more at ihuanedo.ning.com/profiles/...-of-olokun
                        • Oracle Of The Heart: OLOKUN
                          ihuanedo.ning.com/profiles/...art-olokun

(CULL FROM THE IMPERIAL ARCHITECTURE OF GREAT BENIN)

By CHIEF OME OMOREGIE

ORACLES of the heart is born out of Olokun religion tradition, culture and customs of the Edos. In Olokun religion, the path to understanding his mystical ways is as steep as climbing up the mountain. Those who patiently climb to its top are able to taste his blissful spiritual love which he has preserved for every one. Those who cannot, because of materialism are smashed into pieces spiritually.

Okunists, preachers of Olokun religion teach without rowdy conversation. To them, the highest wisdom they acquire is silently conveyed to them. their teachings of the principles of Olokun to some are fantastic and amusing to others it is useless, dangerous and harmful.

Nenvertheless, Okunists give out the words as they are passed from Olokun. In achieving the goodness of Olokun, Okunists completely absorb themselves in devotion to him. If you pray to him from your heart about your needs and wants he will give you answer that enrich your life.
                          Let it be noted here that Olokun Traditional Religious foundation has not come to destroy the existing mode of worship.

It exists only to make it to conform with the modern teachings of mysticism and spirituality. When one has insight into Olokun’s laid down principles he always imparts truths as message that lead to perfect life now and during our reincarnation.

Regardless of our country place of birth, culture or customs truth is accepted as the only way to human survival. Once you are truthful you will love your neighbour. Remember, Olokun has no enemies.

How to practice the word “truth” frightens people. Hence they cannot strengthen their conviction in their ways of life. It is no wonder our brother and sisters are now miracle seekers and believers, forgetting that the greatest miracle worker is Olokun.

When we pray silently in hidden places, the answer is publicized in Benin we therefore have a saying “I am going secretly to serve my Olokun. He should answer me in public” literarily it means that if one ask for a child and you bear one you will rejoice in Olokun’s name publicly.
                          Thanksgiving is an art, usage and custom handed down to us by our ancestors, divinities and deities themselves. Therefore when we receive a gift from God.

Through Olokun, it is imperative we give thanks to God through the same Olokun for holding such a view point, we know our detractors will call us stupid people, pagans idol worshippers and blasphemers. But we are not bothered. Our advice however, to such people is that they should be patient with us to understand the truths in our religion.

As an Odibokun or evangelist of Okunism I advise all Okunists to be fearless in exposing the truth and love of Olokun. They must have a strong close of pride and toughness in the service of Olokun. He is the king mightier than all earthly kings who physically protects and bless Edo people with the fertility of the soil hence, various foods are produced in the land.

Any good student of African traditional religion is aware God create Etebite (man) and Ettegboi (woman) and placed them on earth looking at them, Olokun saw how beautiful and handsome his grand children were and decided to have more children. Later, he said he wanted a king among them who had an immaculate flesh without blemish to be responsible for their existence so he appointed Ogisos to supervise the earth on his behalf.

The Oba of Benin is a descendant of these earth Ogisos. Today he is the pillar of unity as well as the custodian of Bini culture, customs traditions and religion. He caries out several rituals on behalf of the Binis to purify the land as well as repulse all negative vibrations directed at his people.

Many people die yearly while others lie on sick beds. If our heads lead us throughout the year without being partakers of deaths and illnesses it behoves us to give thanks to God. Also we need to pray that the devil does not lead us astray in the coming year.

This is what the Binis call Igue. The Oba’s Palace is the epi-centre of the yearly Edo National Igue religion festival and Muslim’s Ka, abah in Mecca. During Igue ceremony festival the spirits of our ancestors return to Benin Igue festival is an occasion of collective meditation over our problems and a time to receive our ancestor’s blessings. Ewere leaves are given out to friends and neigbours signifying unity of love and purpose during this festival.

Igue festival is performed to mark the end of an outgoing year and usher in a new one of fortune. Prayers offered at the festival is like a dove. Thanksgiving is the feather the dove uses to fly to carry out messages to Olokun Sacrifices are also made to propitiate the diveinities and deities most scholars call them acknowledgements or open confessions of gratitude to those who are supportive to a cause.

In Edo land, we have a divinity and three deities known as the group of four pillars that control the kingdom. They are Olokun Ogun, Eyanton and Eziza. Olokun is the divinity of water Ogun is the fire deity. Eyanton is the land deity while Eziza is the wind deity.

This oracle of heart will not be complete without calling on the Binis both at home and in diaspora to perform Igue festival annually-not minding their religions orientation. Your God will rejoice with you during the period for not sidetracking your culture, custom and tradition. Take a look at the Oshun festival of Oshogbo, a week –long ceremony. It is embraced by both Christian, Muslim and traditional religionists. Today, it is an international event that attracts tourism to the town from all over the world.

So, Binis hear my heart talk. Don’t call your eating plate a bad one or else your opponents will use it as a refuse bin. My heart bleeds for anyone who runs away from his own traditional roots to seek fortune in other traditions. However, it is not too late to return to your African roots and practice Olokun religion let us end every year and begin a new one by coming together to celebrate Igue festival let us also worship Olokun. That is my message.
                          Tags: Deities, Edo, Traditional
                          • Recommended reading
                            en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Olokun
                            Olokun: Patron Deity of the African Race, Iya Afin Aybunmi Sangode
                            Olookun Owner of Rivers and Seas, John Mason
                            Yemoja / Olokun: Ifa and the Spirit of the Ocean, Awo Fa'Lokun Fatunmbi
                            Oriki Orisa, Vol. 1, Awo Falokun Fatunmbi
                            Olokun, the divinity of fortune, Osadolor Imasogie
                            Olokun: a focal symbol of religion and art in Benin, Alfred Omokaro Izevbigie
                            Charles Spencer King.,"Nature's Ancient Religion" ISBN 978-1440417337
                            African Mid Sculpture, Ulli Beier
                            The art of Benin, Paula Ben-Amo
                            The musical instruments of the Ẹdo-speaking peoples of south-western Nigeria, Åke Norborg
                            Symbolism in Olokun Mud Art, Paula Ben-Amos
                            The Initiation of a Priestess: Performance and Imagery in Olokun Ritual, Joseph Nevadomsky and Norma Rosen
                            Chalk Iconography in Olokun Worship, Norma Rosen
                            Mbari and Olokun Compared, Nigeria Magazine
                            The history of ancient Benin Kingdom and Empire, Daniel Nabuleleorogie Oronsaye
                            Black Gods--Òrìṣà studies in the New World, Gary Edwards, John Mason

External links at en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Olokun
                            Worship Olokun!
                            Consecrated Olokun Drums
                            Oyotunji Village & Lineage
                            In Benin Olokun is Oba N'Amen
                      • Kat
                        Kat
                        offline 1

Greetings from the Olokun World!!!

Wed, July 25, 2012 - 6:46 PM
                        Greetings to All --- Just wanted to say that what I find interesting when i'm studying a subject is going back to its origin. Dig 'deep', do much research and go back to the African origin of it all. The foundation of things is the best wisdom. May Olokun always be in your life fulfilling your essence!!!

Sun, March 21, 2010 - 10:57 PM
    I have to tell you, Babalawos have been trying to say that only they can give Olokun for years and years. This is entirely untrue.
    In fact, Ferminita Gomez, Ochabi, Ibae...is credited for setting them straight on that one...and she came from Nigeria with Yemaya on her head.
    Iboru Iboya to Orula and the good babalawos...the problem is that EVEN IFA says that of every 16 Babalawos, only one will be good!
    Olokun is Olokun...there is only one. And it is Not uncommon at all for people to receive her.
    In fact...the statement that Olokun is one of the most expensive to receive sounds like a sales pitch...and it really pains me to say so.
    Also...you do not find out who your "other parent" is until you get crowned. that is determined in Itá de santo and not before.
    Again...I really feel bad to have to tell you these things, but I would rather do the right thing and tell you the truth, even if it means offending a babalawo.

Sat, August 21, 2010 - 6:50 PM
      wussaaaaaa that's a blow but true I agree with you it is expensive. But houses are different cause I remember that in my other house I could not get scrapped as a palero because I am gay. But as my padrino say if lesbians (no offense) can be paleros why can't gay men be paleros it is how you act I am gay and I am a palero and received caldero christiano and have olokun my self and power to you for setting the truth bcause sadly and not to offend no one out there there are santeros that give the religion a bad name a true godfather will teach you instruct you and give you wise messages and a wise advice and most of all if they are from the heart

Tue, May 4, 2010 - 9:25 PM
    Olokun..... Seni Ade... The one who wears the most ancient crown..... The one who wakes up to the sound of drums in the morning... Olokun the owner of the Atlantic Ocean......... Ire owo. Ire Omo. Ire aiku..... May Olokun bless us with the abundance of wisdom, wealth, money , children, and long life..... Ase
    To learn about Olokun, we must study divination verses, we must study with elders and we must study ourselves. We should purify and meditate. To be initiated into Olokun society is like all Egbe Orisa. There are secrets and not every thing is out in the open. If we are patient like Eji Ogbe, study and learn, we will become. It is good for us to study, be calm, learn and practice.
    Olokun is superior, all ye bodies of water Olokun is superior....... (Atengbe)

Infinite prosperity and blessings,
    Eno Hin Utete

Sat, August 21, 2010 - 6:39 PM
      Every house is different pertaining on how was the guardian angel taken. In some sort it depends in my first house everything was done al pie de orula. When I was young I went to al pie de orula to find out who was my guardian angel and it came to be yemaya. At this time I was 10 yrs of age. years later I went to another house in illinois then moved to miami due to a job offer. Long story short some houses do not scrape gay males. But in my house today I got scrapped and received olokun 4 months later 10 months later received caldero. In our house case the muerto runs the house then goes to the saint then to the babalaow . the babalaow is before you step to do your santo then of course santo but as I said every house is different. I will say this much Olokun is a beautiful saint and it has done miracles for me, that to this day I am shocked and all I know i received what I received how I do not know but all I know is that olokun has done it and my muertos and chango you have questions do not be afraid to ask your padrino is there for you. You that you are daughter legitimate of olokun embrace it and ask olokun for anything to lighten your path and olokun will give you that answer. Remember us son's/daughters of yemaya find inner peace within the ocean and ourselve cause no one at times understand us so hopefully this helped you bendiciones and that olokun blesses you as olokun has blessed me and mind you I did not say he/she why? cause different houses believe that olokun is a man and other houses they are women but thats a secret that olokun knows and will never know remember the depth of the ocean hides surprises and none of us know what is in the bottom of the ocean......

Wed, July 25, 2012 - 8:18 PM
    Hi Tiffany,
    I'm happy to see all the responses you have gotten. I'm glad there are a lot people following the religion and wanting to progress in the religion as well. I am omo odduduwa. He's is also another orisha that is so powerful that he can not be crowned. Your religious work seems pretty legitimate based on the details you've given. When you received your ikofa your padrino brought down orunmila to reveal your signo and your guardian angel. The signo you received is a very special one. My padrino is a babalawo and thats the signo he received in his ita when he made ifa. From my understanding you don't find out who your mother orisha is until you make santo. It comes out in your ita during that ceremony. The teja you received is for your egun so you are making great progress in the religion. We're practicalIy at the same level. I have received my awofaka de orunmila and guerreros but I've yet to receive my santos and ultimately make ifa. To me that's also one of the things that I want the most in this life. The only story that I can remember has to do with odduduwa and olokun. If I remember the story correctly odduduwa and olokun were in battle and odduduwa sent olokun to the bottom of the ocean. I believe that's why they say he controls the depths of the ocean. I myself don't have too much information on your father orisha. Odduduwa is another one of those orishas that are very mysterious and generally harder to get information about. Hope the info I gave you helps. I wish you luck and hopefully you can receive your santos soon!

Sat, August 11, 2012 - 12:30 AM
    you all are absolutely amazing thank you to everyone for your responses i appreciate it, i learn something new everyday, thank you all for your extensive knowledge <3

Sat, August 11, 2012 - 5:29 AM
      The secrets of olokun are not lost the matanza line have been able to preserve olokuns secrets. I know someone who witnessed a crowning of olokun direct and saw that person mount.

Sat, September 15, 2012 - 8:11 AM
        it appears you know nothing about this religion,nor are you a santero-so you need to stop making comments-giving these people the wrong answers.your not only making yourself look ignorant,but in turn giving the santeria community a bad representation.

Sat, September 15, 2012 - 8:24 AM
        that newly posted comment is directly for you-(maurizio)

Sat, September 15, 2012 - 8:33 AM
          ya i figured.. i had only posted that because the ile i was associating with at the time was part of the matanza line and they told me that their line crowns Olokun direct and the secrets are not lost. But you are completely right.. i've tried to help and talk about things i shouldnt have/be and last i wanted to do was guide anyone wrong. Hence why i'm not posting anymore..

Sat, September 15, 2012 - 8:43 AM
            well for the record,if your old ile was from matanza or had any linkage there (-where the religion is practiced all day everyday (correctly)-old school)then they would have known this, and you wouldn't be so lost and misinformed.

Sat, October 6, 2012 - 7:47 PM
    Eji ogbe speaks of olokun loud and clear. To the yoruba olokun is female, to the beni male. The yoruba acknowledge that olokun worship started in benin. Amongst lukumi this is reflected generally as different houses saying male or female depending on their teachings and lines. I have even heard that olokun is androgynous, this is an attempt to reconcile different positions. Lucumi babalawo give olokun and say it is male, priests give olokun and say it is female and an aspect of yemonja.

Orisa priests say that olokun is a road of yemonja, this is erroneous or rather leads to confusion. To clarify, there is a road of yemonja referred to as olokun, there is also an orisa, seperate from yemonja whose name is olokun. This orisa is one of the most powerful and eldest. The preparation of the two orisa is very different. The olokun given by the orisa priest is prepared primarily using the steps that a babalawo uses publically. Or rather the olokun of the babalawo has a lot more steps and takes days while the olokun of the olorisa takes hours. Thus babalawo say that only they give the real olokun and orisa priests give a form of yemonja called olokun.

In west africa both babalawo and orisa priests give olokun. At this point I don't know if this pot more closely resembles the lucumi babalawo's or the olorisa's.

With all this said, my opinion is to follow your line and the way of your godparent, this is a strategy that usually yields good results.

Recent topics in "Santeria"

Topic Author Replies Last Post
Working with Eggun Sonia 10 Yesterday, 7:06 PM
Anyone else near Buffalo, NY? offlinesteve 0 September 16, 2014
Newly initiated!!! Aggayusita 13 September 15, 2014
Leaking Tinaja Anna 1 September 8, 2014