Advertisement

la letra del ano

topic posted Tue, January 1, 2013 - 11:07 PM by  Sean
Share/Save/Bookmark
The letter of the year is Ogbe Otura. The letter came with Osogbo. Chango accompanied by Ochun reign this year. There is much to be careful of this year but most importantly is taking care of Elegua.

I am sure more info will be forthcoming.
posted by:
Sean
Advertisement
  • Re: la letra del ano

Wed, January 2, 2013 - 6:27 AM
    Bendiciones,

Raphael posted a link to the Letter of the Year in another Letra del Ano thread on this tribe started by Eni

Where does that one come from(with OrishaOko and Oshun) as opposed to the one that says Chango accompanied by Oshun and where is the Chango/Oshun one originally posted?

I only ask as there doesn't seem to be as much detail beyond the ruling Orishas on the Chango/Oshun Letter of the Year yet while the OrishaOko one is more detailed.

THANKS

Wed, January 2, 2013 - 9:28 AM
    There are two different commissions that take out the letter of the year in Cuba. The one "Raphael" linked to is the communist government controlled group that spits forth Castro approved advice.

The Odu I posted comes from Comision Organizadora de la Letra del Año - Miguel Febles Padron Odi Ka. It is Regla that the person with the oldest Olofi take out the letter of the year. The eldest Olofi resides with the Babalawo's with the Comision Organizadora de la Letra del Año, not the communist approved and controlled group.

They have yet to release a full write up on the advice's. I do not know what the hold up is, but my Padrino de Ifa, who participates in the ceremony called and informed us (my Ile) what the sign is.

This is the reading done for CUBA AND THE WORLD!

What your Ile does and who the pay attention to my differ, but as we were instructed:

Letter: Ogbe Otura - Osogbo

Chango reigns accompanied by Ochun.

The sign warns of misery and devolution due to ones own head / attitudes / habits. This sign speaks of refraining form taking substances that can alter ones perceptions ... so all alcohol and drugs (including perscription drugs) should be taken in extreme moderation.

Arguments and fighting are taboo! A respectful disagreement is one thing, but fighting is a definite no no.

Elegua must be lavished with offerings to the best of ones abilities. As you give, you will receive. Don't skimp on offerings to Elegua this year. In this sign is where Elegua forced people to eat out of garbage heaps to survive.

This is the sign in which Azojuano spread disease across the earth. After the great flood the land was tainted and when the water fully dried and so did the mud, the dirty putrid dirt was spread about by Azojuano. We want to be careful with tainted soils and protect ourselves from them. Wear shoes and exercise caution outdoors this year.

This sign holds extra concerns for Omo Osain and Omo Azojuano, which your elders should instruct you about.

Lastly - it speaks of familial issues, fights and divisions (with ones biological parents). But it also reminds us to deepen our bonds with our Godparents.

Again, I am sure more info will be forthcoming from Comision Organizadora de la Letra del Año on the sign.

Wed, January 2, 2013 - 11:50 AM
      Bendiciones,

Thank you, Sean for explaining further. Now is the link Joseph put up for the year coming? The way the link labels the years for it sounds like it is for the year just past.

Wed, January 2, 2013 - 1:58 PM
      "There are two different commissions that take out the letter of the year in Cuba. The one "Raphael" linked to is the communist government controlled group that spits forth Castro approved advice."

gosh! good to know! thank you Sean for the info.
      hope to see more letras.

bendiciones to y`all

Wed, January 2, 2013 - 6:56 PM
        Woops, I posted my comment to the other thread on the Letter of the Year, I explained something about the history of these two groups, and why they are rivals. There's a link to a good article there that explains the whole history, very informative. (We somehow ended up with two threads on the same subject, sorry it's confusing.)

The Comisión Miguel Febles Padron letra del año is now available, but only in Spanish. Here's the link to it. I'm sure someone will end up translating it soon to English for those who don't know Spanish:
        proyecto-orunmila.org/letra-d...ano-2013

And here is one from Venezuela:
        proyecto-orunmila.org/letra-d...ano-2013
        • Unsu...

Re: la letra del ano

Thu, January 3, 2013 - 6:14 AM
          The ruling Orisa in Osogbo nigeria is Obatala
          In Brazil its Oya & Shango the perfect couple,
          In Cuba & Miami its Oshun with Shango

Thu, January 3, 2013 - 9:07 AM
            Thanks to David Brown of Folkcuba, here is an English translation of the letter that comes from the Comision Miguel Febles Padron out of Cuba. (This is the unofficial non-government sponsored group)

PREDICTIONS OF IFA FOR THE YEAR 2013.

FIRST DRAFT OF ENGLISH TRANSLATION OF THE COMMISSION'S IFA READING OF THE YEAR. I WILL MAKE SOME CORRECTIONS, ESPECIALLY IF ONE OF YOU SAAVY PEOPLE MAKES A SUGGESTION.
            thank you
            DAVID EGUIN KOLADE

IFA PREDICTIONS FOR 2013; FOR CUBA AND THE WORLD.
            For the piests of Ifá; for our brothers the Oriates, Babaloshas, Iyaloshas, and Iworos.

For the Religious Community in as a Whole.

Following a 26-year tradition, the Organizing Commission of the Sign of the Year gathered in the “House-Temple” located on 1509 Avenue 10 of October between Josefina y Gertrudis, Víbora, Municipality 10th of October, City of Habana, Cuba on 31 December 2012.

The ceremony was presided over by Ifá Priest David Cedrón Otura Sá with the support of the Ifá priests of all the “families” of Cuba and their descendants throughout the world. The sign was taken out by the youngest priest.

Reigning Sign: OGBE OTURA

Prophetic Direction: Tragedy occurring between people as a result of the usurpation of “rights” (“la usurpación de derechos”)

Shangó Onire: Offering: [corn] flour with okra and two candles.

Onishe ara: baths with white and purple guirnaldas to which aguardiente [cane rum] is added.

Onishe ile: Sarayeye with seven (7) strong plants on which aguardiente is blown, cascarilla is powdered, and which are tied together in a bunch with a red ribbon.

Ebó: Akukó Fifeshu, dirt from the four corners, sea wáter, putrified dirt, a dagger, and the rest of the ingredients.

Reigning Divinity: Shangó (He represents the wrath of Olodumare [supreme creator]). He hurls lightning bolts; he is the owner of storms and the divinity that burns buildings and cities. He is the son of Oranyan, the powerful warrior and son of Odudúwa. Shangó prohibits lying, robbing, and poisoning. He is heaven’s prosecutor. He is worshipped in Yorubaland, especially in Oyo

Accompanying Divinity: Oshún: Divinity of motherhood and protector of children. Her origin is Ijumu and Oshogbo, Nigeria, where the river carrying her name is found. To protect our children, sacrifices are made to her, during pregnancy and afterwards (post-natal). Oshún is received to alleviate problems that children have and in their raising and behavior.

Flag of the year: Rectangular form, half white and half yellow, with red borders.

The distribution of this document is free and the Commission is not responsible for its sale by unscrupulous people driven by greed. We recommend that people consult with their godfathers about the reading.

ILLNESSES OF EXTREME CAUTION

1. DISORDERS IN THE BRAIN’S VESSELS (EMBOLISMS, HEMMORRAGES, ETC.)
            2. SKIN DISEASES (LEPROSY, SCABIES, ABSCESSES, BOILS, ETC.)
            3. PROBLEMS WITH ARTERIAL BLOOD PRESSURE

OCCURRENCES OF SOCIAL CONCERN

1. Increase in importation and foreign aid.
            2. New fiscal measures of benefit to everyone.
            3. Epidemics that arrive from other countries, which affect mostly children and the elderly.
            4. Discontent and uprising in some segment of the society.
            5. Serious problems in agriculture resulting from the contamination of the ground.
            6. Increase in disorder that provokes drunkenness.
            7. Money swindling in all its forms.

RECOMMENDATIONS
            1. Strengthen the field of neurological studies.
            2. Biotechnological study of Eucalyptus root and Caimito.
            3. Reestablish the system of teaching behavioral norms.
            4. Increase investment in pesticides and fertilizers.
            5. Keep in mind false accusations and unjust legal measures.
            6. Ensure higiene in the handling of food.

While carrying out these recommendations of protection, enjoy a prosperous year 2013.

The Odu’s Admonitions on Behavior

The Earth rots but it does not die.
            Don’t take food out of the fire until it’s done.
            The working man is rarely suffers from want.
            He who has two arms and does not work is the father of idleness.
            The capacity of the intelligent person is the sword that conquers his goals.
            Strength is found in union.
            An arrow does not kill an idea.
            The crab builds his house but does not have time to put a roof on it.
            The turtle plants beans but has no time to harvest them.
            A knife is headed for your neck.
            You should give before your receive.

Our Commission is grateful to the great systems of communication that make possible that these Predictions reach every Corner of the World.
            -
            The “MIGUEL FEBLES PADRÓN” Organizing Commission of the Sign of the Year Wishes you a Happy and Prosperous Year
            • Unsu...

Fri, January 4, 2013 - 12:12 PM
              I have a question for the tribe. What is the purpose of "la letra del ano"?

Fri, January 4, 2013 - 2:48 PM
                The letter of the year is meant to offer advice, warnings and a moral guide for the coming year for members of a religious community. If you have a godfather in Ifa, you should ask him which letter of the year he follows and you should follow that one. If you don't have a godfather in Ifa, then you can follow the one you like. It's important to know the history of the group drawing out the letter, to be sure they're doing the ceremony correctly and they can interpret Odu correctly, it's not something to be taken lightly. It's one of the most sacred ceremonies of the year. There are various letras del año that circulate on the internet. Read my posts in the other thread (Letter of the year) if you are interested in knowing more. There are also links in this thread and the other one to various letras del año so you can see what they're like. Blessings.
                • Unsu...

Thu, January 10, 2013 - 7:10 AM
                  Why do these groups pull different "letras"? Shouldnt the Odu be the same for the whole world? Or does it depend on what part of the world you live in?
                  • This is the maximum depth. Additional responses will not be threaded.

Thu, January 10, 2013 - 8:53 AM
                    Bendiciones,

Well I will be honest, my Ile pulls out a Letra del Ano fo its members to follow only, so by extension, it makes sense some would want to follow one pulled in an area as close to where they reside as possible. Others, regardless of where they now reside may look to Cuba for the Letra del Ano, some maybe even to Nigeria. One for all Orisha worshippers everywhere would be some Odu, I think and maybe not very practical. It seems like in Cuba politics has come into play for different groups there pulling the Letra del Ano, as explained elsewhere in this thread. If in doubt, just follow the advice of your Godparents on which one, if any, to adhere to.

Thu, January 10, 2013 - 4:40 PM
                      Back in the early 1900s in Cuba, long distance communication was difficult and technology was limited, many of the people who practiced this religion had minimum education and no one could just type up the letra del año on a computer and send it off via internet to circulate around the world. So, practitioners of the religion expected the Babalawos in their local community to provide them with a letter of the year, and the tradition took hold in different places, and those place continue to do their own letter of the year today. My ilé has been doing it since around 1906, it's a very important tradition for us, I would be really upset if they stopped, because for me, it's important to have the people who produced the letra available to explain it to me, I like the community aspect to it.

Now that everyone is scattered everywhere and there are so many letras coming out, it gets confusing. I suppose that any letra can be applied to the whole world, but I have some uneasiness about that. I think the way people look at the world varies a lot across cultures, and people interpret the proverbs and advice differently depending on their backgrounds and upbringing. Even though I no longer live geographically close to my ilé, I'm still very emotionally and spiritually connected with them and feel that the letra coming out of that ilé is the right one for me. I visit often enough to talk things over with my elders and my godfather in Ifa, and I still consider myself part of that community, even though I don't live as close as I would like.
                      • Unsu...

Fri, January 11, 2013 - 11:24 AM
                        So any ile that has the required number of babalawo's and knows the riuals can do this?

And If you have multiple ile's that live in the same geographical location should the Odu be the same? For example, I live in NY and we have a very large Ifa/Ocha community here. I personally know of at least 3 different iles within blocks of each other in East New York Brooklyn. If each house pulls a "letra del ano" should they be the same Odu?

Fri, January 11, 2013 - 6:26 PM
                          It would be better if one of the babalawos in the tribe answers that question. My experience is only in Cuba. There you have two competing groups in Havana - the Asociación de Cultura Yoruba and the Comisión Miguel Febles Padrón. Both are done in Havana, but they do not end up with the same Odu. You can look at them on internet and compare. They're quite different. People choose which one they are going to follow, depending on where their loyalty lies. To my knowledge, the one done in my ilé is the only one in south central Cuba (Palmira, Cienfuegos), it's been done there since the early 20th century. There are many Babalawos in that part of Cuba but they cooperate and work together and pull one letter that everyone agrees with (and it is different from the ones from Havana). The reason is that most of the Babalawos from there are somehow connected through their godparents and religious family, and they all belong to the same rama, so they don't see themselves as competing for prestige. The letter they pull represents them all. Even the ones who have left Cuba and now live in Miami or New York go back at the end of the year to be part of the ceremony there. I don't know how it is in New York or other places in the US. I guess it depends on whether the babalawos work together or want to be independent. Since I"m not a Babalawo I can't really say who has the right to do it or not do it, I don't know. Blessings.

Sat, January 12, 2013 - 2:15 PM
                          Iboru iboya ibochiche

To answer your questions in order...

Yes, any house can do this for themselves, as long as they have enough awos present to bring down Orunla properly. In the old days, each house would do its own reading of the year, which leads us to your next question...

No, each house would get their own sign, since each house will go through different blessings and challenges in the year to come. I am not certain what the origin is of the reading of the year for "the world" - I know in Yorubaland, there is a general ceremony for each city or town, and there is most likely one done at the royal court for the whole kingdom. Still, each sign reflects the group of people for whom it is pulled... some groups will prosper, others will not; some groups will have children, others will lose members, all will face blessings and challenges of different sorts in the year to come. The letra del ano reflects this.

Onareo

Ogbe Di

Sat, January 19, 2013 - 6:29 PM
                            OgbeDi answers beautifully, just to add a little history for those interested.

In Yorubaland the new year is considered to start with the yam harvest. Yam was and is the staple food of the traditional yoruba so the first yam of the year was very special and before eaten by the populace it was first offered to orisa. So the new year in yorubaland starts in the summer months in the US. When you see the new year's odu out of africa it always bridges two years, for example Ogbe ogunda for 2012/2013, summer to summer. This of course is the Odu from ile ife, the yoruba spiritual capital. Other towns have other odu but ile ife's is the biggest one (the world odu, although many debate this and we are all welcome to our opinions but again ogbedi explains this phenomenon beautifully). Then there are annual odu for each temple or as we would say house. Then every priest observes their own anniversary, their orisa or Ifa birthday, which can be big if they have a big following or house or not so big and yes divination is done for the next year also.

So readings of the year are important and house readings are not an invention, the odus from cuba are not an invention. One can receive a reading of the year for themself also. To recap, you can get a reading of the year for yourself every year, for your house, and for your lineage and feel free to follow them all as all will effect you ranging from generally to specifically. Hope I haven't confused anyone and that the info is not unwelcome.
                            • Unsu...

Sun, January 20, 2013 - 3:51 PM
                              Great information, and yes, definitely appreciated. It's important to know the history of things. Thank you.

Recent topics in "Santeria"

Topic Author Replies Last Post
Caretaking the Warriors FourgeN. 1 Yesterday, 1:41 AM
ITADOGUN 8/20/14 Fagbemijo Am... 0 August 20, 2014
Paths of Oshun? maurizio 15 August 15, 2014
feeling down and loosing my faith... Yansa787 18 August 13, 2014